Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Contentment

Golfing doesn't produce contentment!!!

Continuing in Philippians four, verse 11 leads us to the next quality of a healthy person “…for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have,” indicating that contentment is a result of relational healing, of constructing a rejoicing spirit, of praying about everything with a grateful spirit. Contentment is a result of focusing on Godly thinking. “…for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.”

Contentment, like an illusive, ethereal smoke ring, is so sought after through achievement and acquisition. To the follower of Christ, it is a product of a focused mind-set of rejoicing, amd prayer with gratitude.
As I reflect back on my years of three score and ten, contentment along with peace of mind and a joyful spirit are the most significant earthly benefits of being a disciple of Jesus.
Contentment isn’t a matter of being content with your situation in life and never trying to improve it. It’s a matter of being content with what you have and who you are — but realizing that we will always try to improve, no matter how happy we are. If we don’t, we have given up on life.

“Happiness is a Choice” is an excellent book to read, whose title I”d like to borrow here. Contentment is a choice. I’m sometimes tempted to think negatively about stuttering and Parkinson’s Disease. The focus then is on what I don’t have or what I’ve lost. “I can’t play basketball or racketball any more.” Or, “speaking is no longer a pleasant experience for me.” If I choose to dwell on those thoughts, discontent is the by-product.

I can choose to think, to focus, on what I do have, or have had (like the many years I had enjoying sports participation) and how God wants to use what I have and what I don’t have as tools to continue to transform me “into the likeness of Christ.”
It’s my choice. James 1:2-4 reminds us to rejoice in tough times because that kind of attitude during the stretching times is what builds our character.

“God’s gifts put man’s best dreams to shame.” – (Elizabeth Barrett Browning.) God’s gifts are not always wrapped in attractive tissue paper. Contentment can even be achieved in tough times if the focus is “How does God want to use this in my life for my good, the good of others and for His glory.”

Contentment and happiness – a choice.

No comments: