Thursday, September 3, 2009

Strength

If peace of mind and a spirit of contentment isn’t enough blessing for the follower of Christ, there is more. Verse 13 of our Philippians four study indicates “For I can do everything through Christ,who gives me strength.” Contentment, peace of mind and now God-given strength, described well in Isaiah 40:28-31.

“Have you never heard? Have you never understood? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength.They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary.They will walk and not faint.”

There is an end to human strength. Not so with God. “Where I am weak, He is made strong,” (2 Corinthians 12). Self-sufficiency is a common “sin” for most men. From a two-year-old’s “me do it mama,” to the adult “pull yourself up by your bootstraps” mindset, we tend not to see our need for God’s strength… until, we are at the extremities of our capabilities – end of self!
Tim Tebow, the all-american quarterback of the Florida Gators is an exception. He has imprinted on his eye-shadow patches “Phil.4:13”, announcing to the world that as great as he is, he is functioning under both reserve power (his) and God’s power. Oh, that we could all see our need for God’s empowerment before we get to the end of self, how much pain we would avert.
As with Paul in 2 Corinthians 12, our human weakness is an opportunity for the power of Christ to work through us. “ I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Anything God wants me to do, He’ll provide the strength for me to do it.
It has been said about the follower of Christ,
"God is who He says He is.
God can do what He says He can do.
I am who God says I am.
I can do all things through Christ.
God's Word is alive and active in me."

No comments: