Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Insecurity

The epitome of insecurity - on the back of a bull.

Insecurity. I’m intrigued by it. I don’t like it. I think it plays a significant role in my stuttering. I think also that every one has some insecurity – often camouflaged well. Let’s explore the topic.
Other descriptors of insecurity: not sure, uncertain, doubtful, inadequately protected, unsteady, instability, lacking self-confidence, feeling vulnerable, anticipation of misfortune.
A definition “the sensual condition that results from comparing oneself to another or from placing confidence in people or situations that can be taken away - even in oneself.

Signs of insecurity:
 Trying to impress people with status or stuff
 Need for acceptance even to the lowering of their standards
 Fear of being found out keeps some stuck in their addictions
 Threatened when not agreed with
 Not disciplining children for fear of their disapproval.
 A cocky demeanor - Any fool knows that bravado is always a cover-up for insecurity. Bobby Darin
 Being highly motivated in perforamance for the approval of others.

Insecurity is the gap between the perceived level of what you need to perform and your perceived skills. Past performance influences expectations of future action. Consequently failure often predicts future malfunction.

Productive insecurity = comedians, movie stars, pro athletes, big time CEO’s
An extreme case of insecurity is described by Johnny Depp. "As a teenager I was so insecure. I was the type of guy that never fitted in because he never dared to choose. I was convinced I had absolutely no talent at all. For nothing. And that thought took away all my ambition too.”
He who is humble is confident and wise. He who brags is insecure and lacking.” Lisa Edmondson

Cher’s view of herself is: “I'm insecure about everything, because... I'm never going to look in the mirror and see this blond, blue-eyed girl. That is my idea of what I'd like to look like.

"You're fired!" No other words can so easily and succinctly reduce a confident, self-assured executive to an insecure, groveling shred of his former self.” Frank Louchheim

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. Robert A. Heinlein

Unhealthy anger is a manifestation of a deeper issue, in my experience,rooted in self-esteem issues, fear and selfcentered expectations. (Me)

Bad directors will tell you they absolutely know how to do it, and how it has to happen; there's this insecurity that leads them to feeling like they have to control everything.
Molly Parker

Bigotry and judgment are the height of insecurity. Jasmine Guy

Each one of us requires the spur of insecurity to force us to do our best. Harold W. Dodds

The greatest deterrent to insecurity is an ongoing growth in awareness of Abba Papa - His love, His grace, His desire to work all things together for our good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.