Monday, December 22, 2008

A Christmas Gift

Trying to brush aside the materialism of the Christmas season during my meditation time this morning, I thought, “If I were giving the baby Jesus a gift, what would it be. Don’t have a lot of money, so couldn’t buy him an expensive gift. Aging and related malady has consumed the vim and vigor of youth, so can’t give Him as much energy as I’ve previously had available.

Time is my most accessible commodity now. I could present Him with my that.
But time itself is not a gift. It’s what I would do with that time.

And there is that word “do” again. A life-long pattern of “doing” – perform, achieve, conquer – typical male pursuits – but mine laced with a driving need to be recognized, to be approved, to the extent that it became idolatry. (The worship of something other than God.)

Appropriate doing is important. (“Whatever you do, do heartily as unto the Lord.”) But the best gift I can give the baby Jesus this year is a life of “being”. A life emphasizing not outward conduct but inward godly attitudes. Living from the inside out. Yes, the outside of the cup should be clean, however it is the inside of the cup that still contains too much pride, self-sufficiency, selfishness (I could go on). This needs continued cleansing and purging as I grow in my walk with The Father, slowly becoming more and more like Him.

This not only is best for me and best for Him, but it also averts the “exterior holiness” that emphasizes what to do and what not to do, leading to a prideful spirit that separates people rather than unites.

For me the process begins with prayer. “Father, create in me a clean heart that lives out the Holy Spirit controlled life best described in Galatians 5:22-24 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.

My prayer continues with, “Father, continue to cleanse me of resentment, discord, jealousy, selfish ambition, factions, self-centeredness (I could go on). Live through a clean vessel today, Father. Show me who needs your love and encouragement through me today.”

That is the best gift I can give the Baby Jesus. How about you?



No comments: