Wednesday, July 1, 2009

ASK


To bring some structure to prayer, some folk like to pray according to the acronym ACTS. A for adoration. C for confession. T for thanksgiving and S for supplication, in that order. We’re using the acronym PRAY. P-praise. R – repent. A – ask and Y – yield. We've looked at the fist two. Today we recognize “ask.”

Think of it. As a child of God, I can approach Him boldly. Hebrews 4:16 tells us: So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

I’m not worthy to enter His presence of my own merit, but because I’m a part of God’s family, He not only invites me into His company but enjoys my asking of Him. Mathew7:7-11 explains it. “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. 9 “You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? 10 Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! 11 So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him.

Ask. Seek. Knock on the door. Receive. That is a formula that when I, as a young Christian, was a source for great cynicism. I’d ask God for something, like for fluent speech to replace my stuttering. Z-z-zip. N-n-n-nada. I would get so angry at God for what a thought was “false advertising.” I didn’t realize that there are times that God says “NO” to our requests when He believes it wouldn’t be a good gift for us. In other words, stuttering was a better gift for me than fluent speech.
I look back at my 70 years and can see how God has used stuttering as a “good gift,” however, if I had my druthers, I”d druther not stutter. I have to continualy work on thanking God (by faith) for this challenge.

Ask. “What if I’m asking for the wrong thing,” some may wonder. If we’re requesting amiss, He will not open the door. If the appeal would not bring God’s best for us, He’ll say “no.” Simple.

Philippians 4 challenges us: Don’t worry about anything, instead pray about everything. Tell God your needs. Don’t forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this you will experience God’s peace which is far greater than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.
It’s easy to thank Him for the requests that come with an answer “yes.” But to expess gratitude when He says “no” is the precursor to “thoughts and hearts quiet and at rest.”
Ask. Tomorrow's post: yield.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Slowness of speech would be a gift to those of us who say too much too quickly. Whether talking to man or God, our speech should be deliberate, considered, directed and not meaningless chatter. When we pray (speak with God) or speak (speak before God), our words need to be in agreement with His heart if He is to act in agreement with the prayer. Agreement may not come quickly in our hearts but come it must.