Thursday, December 3, 2009

Stand Firm

Gracious women from Birmingham's Whole Life - 1970's
It is difficult getting out of Philippians chapter 4. As Howard Hendricks would say, “it is a delightful concoction of tonics for the spirit.” The chapter has a plethora of guides for successful living and dying. I’m reminded again of the first one – STAND FIRM.

This time my thoughts venture to the enemy – satan. When are his attacks the most crucial – when I’m down, discouraged and hurting? No! My own “flesh” is doing sufficient damage to the “abundant life” Christ promises.

The evil one’s assault is during or after victory. After victory, case in point: Elijah after the supernatural event on Mt. Carmel where he challenged the prophets of Baal to a contest to demonstrate the identity of the true God (1 Kings 18:1-40). After the victory, Elijah is seen high-tailing it, running from the tool satan used – Jezebel. He ends up in deep depression. Satan is the great spoiler and loves to suck the sugariness out of a sweet victory. Stand firm against the wiles of satan after victory.

During victory also. Nehemiah is in the process of building the great wall. To thwart that success satan uses Sanballat to threaten and harrass and then sweet-talk Nehemiah. His reply? “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down.” (Nehemiah 6:3) Nehemiah stood firm during victory.

I’m usually victorious over the fallout of stuttering and my Parkinson’s. Since the intensity of both has increased lately, I’m noticing that the lure toward frustration and self pity is stronger then normal. I believe the enemy was not happy with the results of the trip to Birmingham where I had such wonderful affirmation from Whole Life – a singles group of 30 years ago that Ann and I ministered to (and they to us).Not able to get a word out is a frustrating event; but the event has elongated into a chronic fear and frustration that is taking on disproportionate characteristics. I’m just now seeing this clearly as I write. It is more than the normal periodic flesh trip.

“Stand firm, Burwick, in the knowledge that God continues to have a plan for your life that includes stuttering and PD. BE thankful. Flee, satan. Go to Hell! And take all your discouragement and harrassment with you.

Anyone else needing to stand firm right now?

No comments: