Friday, January 7, 2011

The desert: prep for living in community?

How does God get your attention when He wants to speak to you? Many of us are so busy doing good things that God must engineer circumstances so we can as the Psalmist said: "Be still and know that I am God."AS you read Scripture, you find God placing people in life's challenges to get their (our) attention.

As Os Hilman says, He knows that if He is to accomplish His deepest work, He must take us into the desert in order to give us the privilege to be used in His Kingdom. In the desert God changes us and removes things that hinder us. He forces us to draw deep upon His grace. The desert is only a season in our life. When He has accomplished what He wants in our lives in the desert, He will bring us out.

He has given us a mission to fulfill that can only be fulfilled after we have spent adequate time in preparation in the desert. Fear not the desert, for it is here you will hear God's voice like never before. It is here you will have the idols of your life removed. It is here you begin to experience the reality of a living God like never before. Someone once said, "God uses enlarged trials to produce enlarged saints so He can put them in enlarged places!"

I'm wondering if my "accident" that has me off my feet and pretty much confined to the house, was caused or allowed by God so that I could listen more intently to His voice.

I'm wondering what part "living in community" might play in my future. For many years I've thought of providing a retreat type place for people to R and R, for a weekend. A week. A month. Longer. Is this the training ground for that objective? I believe God loves me and has the best for me, inckuding this painful process - for a purpose. If I didn't believe that, I could easily become depressed and cynical.

Are you listening?

Thanks Kevin T for the suggestions to study community living. Have ordered Bonhoffer's book.

No comments: