Saturday, March 10, 2012

An "Impossible" Directive Exposed - 12

This is the last posting of theJames "Impossible" directive -  rejoice during tough times. I hope the study has been helpful to you.

To get James 1:2-5, 12 into shoe leather:

1.      Recognize God’s sovereignty – all powerful. He could have prevented the adversity.

2.      Commit your life to Him  and yield to His plan for  your life.

3.      Shift focus from the circumstances to asking Him for wisdom on what He is wanting to do in  your life. How is He wanting  you to grow?

4.      Something may need to be done about the situation – an intervention, a confrontation, a tightened budget or whatever the situation calls for. But that will not be the focus. The focal point is “How does God want to use this in my  life?”

5.      Don’t try to sqirm out of the difficulty or be too quick to ask God for a reprieve.Rather, allow Him to do a deep work within of healing and growth. That is something about which to rejoice.  There may come a time when you need to take action. Like the wife of an adulterous  husband.  You may ask him to leave if he doesn’t want to let go of the other gal. But the eviction is for him, to awaken him to reality, not for  your own comfort.

6.       Recall the promise of James 1:2-4 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. Great rejoicing material.

A very dear friend, Dr. John Vawter, suggested I include with the question: “How do I see my Parkinson’s Disease as a refiner and not as an enemy?” Hopefully a good way to end this study.   Walk with me as  I shoe leather  this example.
            PD is basically a diminution  of dopamine in the  brain. It doesn’t act the same way in any two people, nor does a singular treatment fit all. The cause of PD has not been determined. For me, the symptoms are: no energy or strength when “off”; driving complications (I have  quit driving); balance - I fall much – fractured rib, etc.; insomnia excerbated by RLS; Dyskinesia ( body movement out of control);  bradykinesia (slow body movement); stuttering worsened markedly when a stronger medication was needed; drooling; constipation; and much more. I don’t want to bore  you, so that ‘s enough. Needless to say it is very restrictive, at times very painful, and sometimes quite embarrassing.

 I’m scheduled for Deep Brain Stimulation surgery April 23. . Deep brain stimulation involves inserting very thin wire electrodes into specific targets in the brain:  The electrodes are attached to a generator implanted under the skin in the chest, much like a pacemaker, resulting in a roughly 30% diminishment of symptoms and the  possibility of taking less medication
Do I perceive this as an enemy to my well-being or as God’s loving, refining process? Got  your  shoes on? Hike with me.

I have 65 years of walking with Him, so I have a record of how He has taken care of me all this time.  I recognize God’s sovereignty – He is all powerful and He could have prevented the adversity. I’m committed to Him and whatever His plan is for my  life. Thus, I know that is important to  shift focus from the  stressful wages of Parkinson’s (and stuttering) to: “God, what are you wanting to do in my life through  this adversity? How can this be a good gift from you? (Matthew 7:11) Then, I can truthfully rejoice, because my focus is not on the hard times but on what God is wanting to do in and through me.How He wants to mature me.

 

I’d like to say I handle all the PD stress given in the above paragraph perfectly, 100% of the time. But I would be lying. After having fallen five times one day, I grew very discouraged and wept. Wept out of sorrow for all I have lost. Wept out of frustration for all the blocked doors, present and future. And once in a while I can get  a little self pity going. That’s ugly but that is where I am part of the time.

 

Shoe leather continues with: “Is there anything I should be doing about it?” Seeking medical help is most appropriate and that is where the brain surgery enters the picture. But  neither PD nor its treatment is the focus. I desire to be a man who loves God and people and I want to walk closely with Christ. That kind of growth can only come  through tough times.

My desire (most of the time) is to deeply integrate that fifth shoe leather principle: “Don’t try to sqirm out of the difficulty or be too quick to ask God for a reprieve.Rather, allow Him to do a deep work within of healing and growth. That is something about which to rejoice.” 

 

 We are applying James 1:2-4 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. Great rejoicing material.

 

As I make that most difficult decision to bring my thoughts into captivity, from the pain of adversity to the James chapter one principle, I reap the blessing described in verse 12 of that first chapter. 12 God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

If you would like a 13 page email copy of this series, let me know at rburwick@mindspring.com

No comments: