Friday, February 22, 2013


Coram Deo captures the essence of the Christian life. This phrase Coram Deo is a Latin phrase translated "in the presence of God"; the idea of Christians living in the presence of, under the authority of, and to the honor and glory of God.

“He walked with God”…at the basketball game when the ref makes a bad call….when in disagreement with my wife…. when someone important makes fun of my stuttering…. When a child or grandchild is blatantly disobedient. Is my response one that could come under the label “He walked with God?”

In God’s omnipresence I am always under the observation of God, understanding that He is my biggest cheerleader. “Yea, Ray, let’s go with it. All the way.”  Or, “Ray, let’s not do that.  Yes, that will bring temporary pleasure. But it isn’t worth it in the long run.”

Coram Deo. There is no place that we can escape His penetrating scrutiny, nor His  grace-filled, loving regard for us as His children. And 2nd Timothy 3:16-17 captures the very essence of this concept of God. The value of His Word: “All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.”

Living under divine sovereignty involves more than a reluctant submission to sheer sovereignty that is motivated out of a fear of punishment. It involves recognizing that there is no higher goal than offering honor to God. Our lives are to be living sacrifices, oblations offered in a spirit of adoration and gratitude.

At the age of 12, it seemed as if God was calling me into the ministry. I fought that call for about  a year. At that time I was stuttering profusely and could see myself in a pulpit making a fool of myself  with all the stuttering.  How embarrassing would that be!  Afte wrestling God for a year, I relented, gave God permission to use me as He chose – willing to stutter for Him, and the Call left me.   I didn’t realize the ministry He had chosen for me was not behind a pulpit but with a basketball and later as a counselor and writer.  

This is my challenge for now. Being willing to “go out weak” instead of ending my life going out strong in the way that I’d hoped to. That seems to be what God has in mind for me – stripping me of performance pride, fully aware of Paul’s words: “Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it (thorn in the flesh) away from me. 9 But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Coram Deo …standing naked as it were before the face of God.

Adapted from Ruth Myers, Enjoying God Anew - 31 days of praise   and from R.C. Sproul, Ligonier Ministry

Thank you, my loving and sovereign God, that you have been with me and carried me from the day of my birth until now. When Parkinson’s disease assaulted my brain about 12 years ago, You were there. When stuttering interrupted my speaking fluency 71 years ago, you gave permission for that. And of late, a double hernia that needed surgical repair. A twisted spine that needed titanium screws. Brain surgery with a computer inserted in my chest, sending messages to my brain. And God, You were there when I wrapped my 4-wheeler around a tree, causing severe nerve damage in my leg.    All for which I grew subtlety bitter and cynical. I repent and am grateful for your grace and mercy which forgives me.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ray, for giving us an example for our own lives to be coram deo.