Thursday, November 6, 2008

God is Love

A week in Kentucky with Ray and Holly and the three granddaughters was great. It is exciting when you see your children growing in the Lord. Holly is due in three weeks with my first Burwick grandson - name to be Barron Olaf. Barron meaning "young warrior" or "noble man" and Olaf meaning "ancestor - five kings of Norway were named Olaf including St. Olaf. So, Barron is going to be a noble young warrior in line for kingship!

While there Barron's sister gave her dad a flu bug which he so kindly passed on to me that, fortunately, hit me as I arrived home. Consequently a bit late on the postings.

AS I approach the year of 70, if there is one thing I'm still learning, it is GOD IS LOVE. I knew that cognitively, but as I look back on life's experiences, hindsight is 20-20. He was always there even in the toughest times. During the trauma, it seemed as if He had gone on vacation. Death of a baby. Death of a wife. Being fired. Stuttering. Parkinson's and more. Looking back God lovingly used all the trauma in my life to fashion the current Ray. I read the following in some forgotten book:

One day C. H. Spurgeon was walking through the English countryside with a friend. As they strolled along, the evangelist noticed a barn with a weather vane on its roof. At the top of the vane were these words: GOD IS LOVE. Spurgeon remarked to his companion that he thought this was a rather inappropriate place for such a message. "Weather vanes are changeable," he said, "but God's love is constant.""I don't agree with you about those words, Charles," replied his friend. "You misunderstood the meaning. That sign is indicating a truth: Regardless of which way the wind blows, God is love."
Even in suffering, the topic of which we'll explore in the next few posts.

No comments: