Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Significance of Scripture

Eighty two percent of Americans profess to be Christians according to the Barna Group, with three-fourths not believing that the Bible should be the standard for their decisions.Application of truth is optional.

Sometimes we are so caught up in defending the inerrancy of Scrfi;pture that we miss its central point: obedience. Byron Paulus, executive director of Life Action Ministries, says that, “Admittedly the greatest struggle I face in my walk with God is not learning more truth, but obeying the truth I already know.” He adds, “Could it be that the Bible’s power is only unleashed when it is lived out by God’s people?

Del Fehsenfield, Senior Editor of Revive, takes it a step further when he says, “The truth of God’s Word must be applied in relationship with others. Without their input I will become hardened to the truth and decieved in my thinkng. It’s a startling thought, but if you’re only applying the Bible by yourself, you’re walking a path toward spiritual ruin.The Bible was meant to be received and understood in community.”

It seems we have become an individualistic society less prone to seeking the authority of Scripture. “When there is no authority in religion or in politics, men are soon frightened by the limitless independence with which they are faced. They are worried and worn out by the constant restlessness of everything, “ states Alexis de Tocqueville about the 19th century Americans. I doubt if this century has seen any change. The authority of Scripture seems not to be a significant issue.

Howard Hendricks of Dallas Theological Seminary states: “The greatest problem in the church today is that we have an increasing number of Christians who are under the Word of God but not IN IT for themselves. Being under the Word of God should be a stimulus – not a substitute – for getting into it for yourself.”

The Bible says of itself:
Psa. 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Psa. 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
2 Tim.3:16-17 LB The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives; it straightens us out and helps us do what is right. It is God’s way of making us well prepared at every point, fully equipped to do good to everyone.

The Bible is my guide and my light for effective living. It is the mirror that reflects that part of me that needs growth so that I am becoming “fully equipped to do good to everyone.”


No comments: