Thursday, April 22, 2010

Mental lImagry


It is back to speech therapy again. The ol’ stuttering has taken off to pergatory. So, Becky my therapist and I are currently working on mental imagry. Thought you might find some tidbits for yourself that could be helpful. So I share with you ….

Interviews with 1500 very successful executives reveals that they imagined themselves performing at a higher than normal level. It is believed that before a person can change, he must see himself in a new role. Arnold Lazarus in his book “In the Mind’s Eye,” says, ‘IF you wish to accomplish something in reality, first picture youself achieving it in imagination. There is an essential scientific fact that says, ‘ the human nervous system cannot tell the difference between an actual experience and an experience imagined vividly and in detail.

I believe the mental imagry concept can be backed up with Scripture, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” Is that Proverbs 23:7?

So, just having a mindset of not stuttering is not going to work. I’ve tried it. This is virgin territory for me. But I think before each speaking opportunity, I must see myself as God sees me. (Not contaminated by fear or stuttering habit.) And I’m trying to conceptualize this succintly now on a 3 by 5 card to carry with me. I’d appreciate your prayers regarding this as I write in the next few days.

No comments: