Friday, August 6, 2010

Why, God?


Should I ask God “Why?”

A very special friend told me, “Never ask God ‘why.’ There is no place in Scripture that indicates we should do that. Just trust Him.”

His words challenged me, because I often ask God “why.” I realize his position of “just trust God” is certainly appropriate. However, I have a grandson, Barron Olaf, who if he asks me the meaning of a tough time in his life, I certainly want to provide an answer if I had insight into the situation. How much more would my loving Heavenly Father want that for me (Matt. 7:11).

I believe the key is our attitude in asking. Is it with whiney voice or thrust out fist? Or is it a genuine, “Papa, what am I to learn from this. How do you want to use this situation in my life for my good, your glory and the good of others?”

James 1:2-5 seems to be the foundational resource for my thinking. 2 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. 5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.

This passage says to me, “Ray, trust me. The hard time you are experiencing now is a character building challenge. You can be joyful, not for the process, but for the product – a stronger, more complete Ray.”

“Okay Father. I accept your words, your plan for my growth. But the very next sentence says ‘if I need wisdom, ask…’ Forty eight years ago, it seemed as if you told me that you would heal the roots of my stuttering. For 45 years my fluency slowly grew. Then 3 years ago, my speaking took a nose dive and now there are times I get so stuck on a word that it just won’t come forth. Stuttering is worsening. Speech therapy hasn’t helped.

Why the seeming change of plans? It appears that you’ve broken a promise to me. At this stage of my life is there something better for me than healing my speech? What should I learn from this? How do you want to use this in my life, Abba, Papa?”

My challenge is asking God “why” with the right attitude. My fist isn’t raised to Him. I don’t think I’m whining. But every so often I allow self pity to creep in. And self pity is always tinged with a bit of anger to God. A genuine asking of God for wisdom evolves into a fleshly, self-centered and even cynical demand for a response. Yuk. A pile of dung!

He hasn’t given me an answer to my question yet But I trust Him (99 percent of the time).
Other passages that support asking God “why” are:

E;phesians 1:17-19 asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. 18 I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance19 I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him…

James 4:2 (NKJV) 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.

John 15:7, 16 But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.
“Remain” (meno in the Greek), “stay or abide.” The NLT Study Bible describes it as a profound, intimate and enduring relationship. It seems to say to me that if I’m abiding in Him, my communication can include “why.”

No comments: