Friday, August 20, 2010

Personal value


I’ve written a book on building Self Esteem (Self Esteem: You’re Better Than You Think). I’ve spoken and written considerably on the topic because I believe that a poor self image is a root of much personal discomfort. Insecurity can prompt us to be very controlling, very dogmatic, easily threatened and much more dis-ease.

In our last post of yesterday, I asked you what your value was as a person. Instead of a long monologue, I’d like to cut to the chase, get to the bottom line where rubber meets the road. Joshua 1:8 says that as we meditate on Scripture and do what is says, we’ll be successful. Does the Bible talk about self esteem? AS we would say in my North Dakota days, “Ya shore, you betcha.”

Look with me at Romans 12:3-5 Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us. 4 Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, 5 so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other. In his grace, God has given us different gifts for doing certain things well. So if God has given you the ability to prophesy, speak out with as much faith as God has given you.

Notice the sequence. Don’t think too highly of yourselves (that can come from performance-based self esteem, or for women it is usually beauty related.).
Next, rather then measuring yourself by comparing with others, measure yourself by the faith God has given you. That means you you can’t even take credit for faith-based self esteem. That is even God given.

Next issue is that we are parts of a body and we need each other. The following verses describe God-given gifts so that we can minister to each other.

Summarizing, the value I should place on myself is in direct proportion to my God-given faith and how I allow the Holy Spirit to move in and through me as I love on and encourage others.

Consequently, I should have no worries or concerns about my value as a person. Focus on knowing God more deeply through which lHe gives among many things – faith. Pour my life into others and enjoy the ride. That sounds so simple, so Sunday-schoolish. Try it on for size. See if you like it.

1 comment:

Russ Wallace said...

"Pour my life into others, and enjoy the ride." That sounds like truth, which is such a rare commodity. I'm glad you blog.