Monday, November 1, 2010

Just BE, Ray

WHERE AM I?
The Penske truck sits in the front yard of our daughter Kristin's house, 2/3 unloaded in her basement. Remainder goes into a storage unit here.Theresa and I are snuggled into our 21 foot fifth wheel, with actual living space 8 feet by16. Close quarters indeed. We are scattered with "stuff" lin three places here and two storage units are filled inNampa. Consequently, "where is the ---?' is a frequent verbal and nonverbal exchange lately.

WHO Am i ?
Oh, I know all the right answers...child of God, one with Christ, filled with the Holy Spirit, husband to Theresa, father of three, etc. etc. But, as bare bones are being exposed (identity based on 'stuff' is shot, can't find most of it anyway). no performance for ID; no Nampa+based friendships. I know God has calledT and I to a grandparenting ministry - but how do you do that?There are books written detailing activities with grandkids, But the transformation from a self-focused performance-oriented rascal to one with a heart for the kids = just to be with them, just to BE, that is the challenge.

Barn to build. House to build. Fences to CONSTRUCT. Just "Be", Ray. Just BE. It seems as though God is directing me tothe quiet place, where I can hear Him better.

1 comment:

Russ Wallace said...

I'm laughing as I tell you that "grandparenting ministry" is probably one of the worst terms I've ever read. It sounds like a windowless room at church where they serve those not-so-good cookies and warmish lemonade, and everyone's very nice and polite, but something about it all seems strange and disengaged.

Y'all are going to have a blast. Hanging out with your grandkids for a day job? Are you kidding me? These are people who do not know a time before the internet, cellphones, or the International Space Station. In their own lives, like Satchmo said, they'll learn so much more than you'll ever know. A most complete generation gap. Take advantage of it. Don't try to get them to be like you. They are from a different world than you are. Being like you wouldn't work. Seriously, y'all have a nice plan there. Excelsior!