Friday, July 8, 2011

Adjustments

I have been working on this blog posting for a number of weeks now and I just can’t get it to flow. I think he blockage is I’M HAVING A DIFFICULT TIME INERNALIZING AND APPLYING THE CONTENT TO MY OWN LIFE.


So, here goes. Maybe I can learn more as I type. Pictured on my knees for two reasons:  bowing before the Lord and can't fall when I'm on my knees.

Could one of the greatest marks of maturity be the ability to adjust? MSN.com gives us some adjustment challenges from the world’s persective, like

“5,000 cops deployed as Greeks launch ‘massive’ 48-hour strike

Iran: Our missiles can reach US bases

Blaze rages near nuclear plant.

Some definite opportunities to make major adjustments.

Possibly you relate better with MSN’s quibs on belly fat, or giving birth or losing your job.

Adjustments. Life is about adjustments. I must be a slow learner, but this is the first time I’ve connected adjustment and maturity. St. Paul’s words are the epitome of adjustment challenge: “In whatever state I’m in I’ve learned to be content.”

Think of the adjustments Paul had to make – from being stoned and left for dead to imprisonment. Yet, “I have learned to be content.” Notice the word “learned” – a process. Adjustment leading to contentment can be learned.

I’m presently in a steep learning curve. And frankly, I’m struggling – not over any one issue, but the culmination of losses that been posted prevoiously. Driving, close friendships, ministry (as I knew it,) balance (frequently fall), energy and strength and more. Adjustments.

We are in our new house. After battling a plethora of road blocks these past 7 months, we’re in – well, partially. Storage units in Idaho and Kentucky are emptied. Our basement is full of stuff. Boxes everywhere. Adjustments!

How do we reach that adjustment pinnacle of being content, wherever? Check out the following sequence.

1. Recognition. As followers of Jesus, we are blessed with the knowledge that our loving Heavenly Father wants the best for us. So spend consistent time in the Bible learning about Abba PaPa. Learn how He wants to use everything we experience for our good, the good of others and for His glory. I need to remind myself of this every time I want to go some place and can’t drive.

2. Acceptance. No bitterness about the situation, but not rejoicing either. A cognitive exercise of “whatever my lot in life, I’ll build on it.

3. Rejoicing. Appropriating God’s resources through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit. Some adjustments are so difficult that the Holy Spirit has to do through us what is impossible to do in our own strength. Like following Biblical guidelines of “rejoice evermore; give thanks in and for all things.”

For example adjustments I‘m endeavoring to make now are physical and relational. I’m consistently encountering tasks that I have been able to perform all my life that are now becoming impossible because of the Parkinson’s balance challenge and the nerve damage from the 4 wheeler accident. The Parkinson’s symptoms have really accelerated this year – dyskinesia, loss of balance and Pd is the reason I’m not ldriving any more. Tha t is tough. The adjustment indicates my maturity or lack thereof..

James in 1:2-4, gives a clea challenge: Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.

I need a lot of work on this. How about you? You may not stutter or have PD, but all have some adversity. How is your maturity level?

1 comment:

Zac said...

Ray it really is great to read about what your going through. Before I get into some of the adjustments I've had to make recently, I want to brag on you and about for a little bit. You were my first real mentor for Christ. Your constant love and acceptance of me is something I cherish every single day. Like in many of our conversations in the past, I've felt that God has had a special hand on me since I was little and major evidence of that is allowing me to cords paths with you. The Lord showed me what a true follower of the Lord is truly about through my careful observation of you over the great year and a half we spent together (whether you knew it or not!) :)

But getting to your question, some adjustments I've had to make have taken shape more as challenges than anything. The Lord has blessed with a passion for sports production and has paved the way for me to reach my dreams. However, along the path so far (it has been short too) there are many temptations and opportunities to walk away from the Lord. I'm human and I will continue to struggle but so thankful that God loves my perseverance but more importantly welcomes me back with open arms when I may stray. I have recently learned to love the unworldly possessions more than the worldy and for a 21 yr old, it can bs tough at times. I'm also trying to make the adjustment in living for the approval of God and God only. As easy as that sounds and as easy as others may think, working towards something you want can often turn into working for someone or something you don't or some may feel is worse, being rejected after all the hard work. Currently in LA, there is a big emphasis on dress, look, and monetary value that is often hard to NOT get caught up in. Naturally doubts set in about whether we are good enough or envy for another persons relationships, job, or even life. There are good days and bad but one of the things you taught me awhile ago is to trust. As hard as that may bs sometimes, trust that the plan will be the right one God has set out for you and to enjoy the journey along the way. Why is it so hard to sometimes throw your arms in the air and just let go, knowing God will catch you and care for you?

Love you Ray and always in my prayers