Wednesday, August 17, 2011

WHY TRUST

Barron Olaf, my two-year-old grandson, stands on the edge of the swimming pool. I am in the pool waist-deep imploring him, “jump to me Barrron.” No problem. A little hesitation. Quick splash into my arms.


Why the hesitation? It’s scarey jumping into a watery abyss. Why only a short hesitation? I’m real close so he has to only lean to reach me, and Barron has learned from previous experience with his dad that, though scarey, it is safe.

As I take a couple steps away from him in the water, his faith in me waivers but the jump is always consumated. He trusts that I won’t go out too far that isn’t safe to jump.

Just a simple little allegory, depicting the “Trust and Obey” of last posting. In my 65 of 72 years that God and I have walked together, there has been no time that He has proven untrustworthy. He has always been there for me, meeting my needs. Oh, sometimes He allowed quite a splash before I reached His arms…deaths, vocational and personal challenges. At times it is hard to hear him say "jump"cuz I don't see Him or sense His presence.

Like this last few months.- seemingly unanswered prayer. Worsening of Parkinson’s symptoms. I’m falling frequently. Getting banged up, but no broken bones. The dyskinesia has me bobbing and reeling – at times, very noticeable. Speech fluency more and more distorted, etc. God seemed to be on lunch break. I neglected my faith’s fundamentals. Got confused and resentful.

Not unlike the Boston Celtics under Coach Red Auerback during their perenniel championship days. Auerack was asked why they were so successful. His report, “We stick with the fundamentals.”
After Auerback retired from coaching, Boston spiraled downhill (until lately). They got away from the fundamentals for a few years.

Like the Celtics, I neglected utilizing the basic fundamentals of my walk with God when He says in Isaiah 43: Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. 2 When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. 3 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. ..because you are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you.

Basic fundamental:

• God calls me by name

• I am His

• I am precious to Him and loved by Him

• In God’s sovereinty, He gave me or allowed me to have the adversity of Parkinson’s and also of stuttering. We observe in Isaiah 30: Though the Lord gave you adversity for food and suffering for drink, he will still be with you to teach you… So it will be when the LORD begins to heal his people and cure the wounds he gave them.

• God uses my adversity to teach me until He ultimately heals me (which might not be until my death/resurrection.)

Trust and obey. Remember, I am His and He is mine. He is my ultimate Papa who always wants the best for me.

So I am standing at the edge of the pool being implored to jump into His arms. Am I back to trusting Him? As we say in North Dakota, “Ya shoer, you betcha.” I jump.
2 of our $100 bunnies







No comments: