Sunday, September 25, 2011

G.C. God Connectivity.- Poodle Style

G.C. God Connectivity. Had plenty opportunity yesterday.

1.Chopping wood, fell on the upright axe handle. On the way down: “God, help.” On the ground: “Thanks Father. That could have been real serious.” GC

2. A friend needed some money. If I loaned or gave him that request, would that be good Christian charity or would it be enabling the person’s irrespsonsibility? Time for GC, for His wisdom.

3. Wife and I fussed. GC time: “Father, give both of us the wisdom we need to see and own our part in the conflict, then the desire to repent and make it right.” (A very profitable GC time.)

4. Constipation early this morning. We won’t go into the details about that. Plus many little and big things encouraging to GC with petition or praise.

Paul has an interesting perspective on connection with the Father, found in Colossians 3:1-2: 1 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 2 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.

Commentaries are quite obscure about the meaning of this pasage.We know it doesn’t suggest we become so heavenly minded that we’re no earthly good. No. I think God is saying through Paul. “I created you. I want the best for you. Set your mind on me, Place your trust in me.I’ll meet all your needs.”

“But God,” someone cries. “You say in Genesis that it is not good for man to be alone. I’ll create him a helpmate. My helpmate doesn’t want to meet my needs. He is so selfish.” That could be my wife Theresa pleading Him to meet needs, that out of selfishness, I’m not meeting.

This is fresh material. I’m currently sitting at my desk typing this post. At my feet is a cuddly ball of fur. A two pound, seven week old toy poodle. I don’t like animals in the house leaving their deposits for all to see and smell, so always told Theresa “no” to her request for a house cat.

Well, last week she received a call from a friend who said a friend of hers was looking for a home for a blind in one eye toy poodle – free. Was it the Lord who whispered in my ear, “All Theresa has done for you, taking care of you, that would be a memorable love and thankyou gift for her. Or was it just the idea of having a $500 dog – free? I’d like to think the former.

However, being the spiritual giant I am , I thought I should check what the Bible says about dogs. The first was 1 Kings 14:11: The members of Jeroboam’s family who die in the city will be eaten by dogs, and those who die in the field will be eaten by vultures. I, the LORD, have spoken.’”

I don’t want a man eating dog. I don’t think the toy poodle would be in that category. So I look at the nex t reference of dogs mentioned in the Bible. Psalm 59:6 says: They come out at night, snarling like vicious dogs as they prowl the streets.

I don’t think a toy poodle would prowl the streets. So I checked out Proverbs 26:17. It says: 17 Interfering in someone else’s argument is as foolish as yanking a dog’s ears.

No application there. How about Luke 16:21? As Lazarus lay there longing for scraps from the rich man’s table, the dogs would come and lick his open sores.

Now that one will preach! I don’t have any open sores that I know of. Some poison ivy is all. But having “Lovey,” as he is currently named, has certainly opened up some sores. A sore of self-centeredness.

Look with me at the early morning scene in our garage. I’ve taken him out to eliminate his body’s waste material. I waited and waited. He just stood at my feet wanting to be held. I waited. Finally he crawled under the golf cart. Did he do his job there? Got a flashlight. Stooped down to peer under the cart. Saw something but didn’t know what it was. Forty-five minutes later, I carry him back inside and rather gruffly say to Theresa, “There has to be a renegotiation of our contract. I happily got you the dog as an appreciation gift for all you do for me, but I didn’t sign up for piss and poop patrol. Early morning is when I have my GC time.” (Reading the Bible, praying, etc.)

Honestly, dear friend, as I read this, it just hit me. What could I have accomplished spiritually by 45 minutes in the Word as compared to the moments that dog exposed my selfishness, resulting in repentance. I had GC (God connection.) Sin – exposed and repented of brings growth and freedom. Helps marital relationships also!!! Beware the dog!

No comments: