Monday, September 19, 2011

Q.T. vs.G.C.

This topic has been brewing for some time. Don't know how many posts there will be. But let's go

“Have you had your quite time today?” If asked that question, most believers in Jesus would translate that to mean, “have you set aside time to pray, read the Bible, or in some fashion connect formally with God?” They would answer accordingly.


For most of my 72 years I have been a very disciplined person. Have many faullts, but laziness isn’t one of them. Thus, for over 60 years I’ve begun most every day with a formal connection with God – prayer, study, memorize, etc. However, of late, I’ve had a new insight. Whether I’ve heard this from some other source or it has just come to me, I don’t know. But here it is:

As important as a formal connection with God is (quiet time), even more so is what Brother Lawrence calls practicing the presence of God, found in his book by that title. An ongoing awareness of God and a growing connectivity with Him. Paul, in Colossians 3:1-2 presents a slightly different slant and challenges us to fix our thoughts on things above, not on things on earth. In First Thessalonians his charge is “pray without ceasing.” In Romans it is “rejoice evermore:” Give thanks for and in all things.

Notice, the link with God is not a 15 to 30 minute session, but an on-going connectedness that employs a deep relational focus lifting us through and above our circumstances, however severe they may be.

The contrast between a formal quiet time and an ongoing connectvity with God came through loud and clear this week. I was having my “quiet time with God” early in the morning, reading James one focusing on the word “ patience.” That afternoon I was having a dickens of a time repairing a rabbit cage. Just couldn’ t get my fingers and the little wires to co-operate. Patience was waning. Frustration setting in…until I recalled the word I studied that morning. Patience.

Which setting provided the greatest opportunity for growth? The instruction of James one provided the insight or knowledge and the rabbit cage situation provided the occasion for shifting head knowledge into shoe leather. Both needed. However without the shoe leather, the knowledge just seems to lead to spiritual pride.

Would you allow me to exchange that antiquated term “quiet time“ with “GC”? Meaning, God Connectivity.Whether it‘s the formal, sit down with open Bible and notebook devotions as some would call it, or the bringing into consciojus awareness of God throughout the day, it is GC. God Connection. Intentional, mental “exercise.”

Christ indwells every besliever. So there is a connecion all the time with the Godhead – conscious or unconscious. However, I’m speaking of the time we bring God into our conscious thoughts.

Some set their watch or phone alarms to go off every hour on the hour as a reminder to ”think God thoughts.” Because God is sovereign – all powerful, who doesn’t allow anything to come His children’s way without His permission, I can trust Him. I’m beginning to see God in most everything. So instead of setting an alarm, I’m endeavoring to develop an ungoing, ever present grateful atitude. “Thanks, God,” is becoming the foremost word ii my life.

Parkinson’s disease; is in part responsible for growth in a grateful attitude, leading to GC.. I fall a lot – sometimes as much as 5 times a day. “Thanks Papa. That hurt but it could have been worse.Thanks that it wasn’t worse”….until one day two weeks ago...I fell hard on my left side. The rib cage took a bea ting. “ Thanks Lord. it hurts but it could have been much worse.”

Three hours later. For the second time, a fall. Hit the same spot one rib higher.

“Oophda, Abba Papa, that hurts times two, but it could have been worse.”

Two hours later, another fall. You guessed it – hit. the same spot. A cry of pain plus tears of agony preceeded the exercise of gratitude. “Father I don’t know if I can take this anymore. The pain is severe now but it’ll be worse when I cough or sneeze. How long will this go on until death? By faith I say thanks, because You promise to work everything that happens to me for my good, the good of others and for your glory.Teach me Father. How is this to be used for my good? What is the value. You certainly could prevent this falling and subsequent pain. Help me under stand according to James 1:5.”

The pain is faced. No unhealthy “Big boys don’t cry” repression of feelings. As the pain is processed with God, the focus changes f rom the adverse situation to seeking to learn the significance of it – its value. God’s purpose through it.

That is valuable, healthy and productive GC!























1 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 2 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.

No comments: