Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Poodle ponderings

Gary responded to my last post about our poodle. “Ray, you have joined the fraternity of the insane. What else could explain this behavior? It will get worse—you will find yourself bonding with the varmint before you know it. You should have gotten a female: they bond with one servant but males will be fickle and take anything they can get from anyone. Your dog Lovely, will play you for all you are worth.


Oh, by the way, those brown deposits that you need to pick up daily, those are called nutrient nuggets among the more refined. You will develop many other euphemisms on your own.”

Gary elucidated on the many inconveniences and the joys of having dogs. They have 2 Maltese. He continued with “Have I mentioned expenses? Eleven hundred to purchase, vet exam and first set of shots at $600, neutering both at $800, replacement of carpet and pad at $1800, fencing the backyard at $3200…

Ray, now you are a real man. You now will know what it means to lay down your wants for a friend, your wife. And you will always have someone there to remind you how shallow you are. Pups are God’s agents for our sanctification. You may even experience true sinless perfection (smile).

I think it was C.S. Lewis who said, “a man is getting better when he sees more clearly the evil that is within him. A man is getting worse when he see his badness less and less.”

Lovey ( might call him “Tiger” because he is so ferocious – smile) has a role in my life, besides being a fun companion. He is a revealor of my badness. As the last post indicated - my selflilshness. Impatience. He knocks the stuffing out of any kind of schedule that can become rigid. As I’m writing this post he has just knocked over the container that holds my spent pistachio shells. All over the floor. What a mess. And now it is the kleenex box. Shredded kleenex. I better close this and start cleaning up and give him some eyeball time..Oops, before I could move he got into my horizontal filing systm - the floor.

See you later.

No comments: