Sunday, April 22, 2012

Brain Drilling

Two types of drilling will be going on Monday at 9 a.m. My home state  of North Dakota  has hit the big time in oil production.Drilling is non stop in scores  of wells. The other kind of drilling I’m concerned about is the two holes that will be drilled in my head.
Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) begins  at 9 a.m. with connection of two wires to spots in the brain, then directed to my chest. Thursday a power pack will be inserted in my chest that qualifies me for participation  in the best looking bionic man contest.
I’m surprised by my lack of fear. I’m at peace about the whole affair.Several people have told me they were praying for me. That must be the cue, cuz normally the fear would be internalized and come out with some bodily dysfunction.
A decision had to be made between the DBS, hip replacement or possible back surgery for a disc out of  line. That, along with the ongoing ATV accident which has depleted much of the nerve activity in left leg and foot, I’m beginning to feel a little like Job. Job’s  response to his adversity was, “The Lord gives and he Lord has taken away, may the name of the Lord be praised.” I’m endeavoring  to know more deeply the truth of God’s sovereignty. He either causes or allows our circumstances – “the Lord gives and the Lord  takes away.”
 Then the ultimate goal is found in Job's  remarks half way through the book,  “though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him.” I don’t know what to expect from DBS – could be a  stroke. My hope is not in the surgery results but in God alone who, according to Matt. ?:11, wants to give good gifts to me.
If you have been following this blog, you will recall that a week or two ago we were examining the James 1:2-8 "Rejoice in adversity. This is probably not my final test in rejoicing. But this seems like a big one...Rejoice in brain surgery? Rejoice because my back is at times in excruciating pain? Rejoice  when I'm experiencing the bone on bone hip situation? It seems like an unattainable task. Too idealistic!
That is when God slips up on me and gently whispers, "Ray,  trust  me. I'll use what  ever happens  through the surgery, for your growth in Christ and so that others can see my hand and learn  to trust me also.You are smack dab in the middle of my will. The results of your  brain surgery are in my hand. I love you more than you can imagine."
Peace, wonderful peace.

No comments: