Thursday, April 19, 2012

Brain MRI

 Had a brain MRI this week. Good news. Bad news. Good news?  They were able  to  locate a brain. For many norwegian-estonians, that is sometimes a stretch. But they had to work for it and finally the machine located the target half ways between my feet and my head. No, just kidding.
The bad news? The diagnosis was insufficient dopamine caused by eating too much lutefisk and lefsa.  No, just  messing with you.The MRI was done in preparation for DBS. (Deep brain stimulation,) scheduled for Monday morning. The doctors will drill two holes in my skull into which they will insert wires. Another surgery four days later to insert a battery pack in my chest to which the wires will be connected.Then a few doctor visits to regulate the juice.
Kinda scarey. But the people who I talked to about their experience with DBS are gung hoe about the procedure.  Your are  the counselor. You ask me, “How are you feeling about this operation?”
I reply, “Three months ago I had said ‘No way, Hosea. No one is messing with my brain.’” Now my response is if there is a way to lesson the symptoms, lets go for it. Especially for  Theresa’s sake. She has been a wonderful care-giver, but I don’t want her to have all that extra pressure of taking care of an old invalid.
God says, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” And that is over-riding the fear.
My quick prayer every time I am fearful is: “Lord, I’m in your hands and I trust your promise that “all things will work together for my good, the good of others and for your glory.”
Another M RI tomorrow on my back and hip. Will keep tabs for you.

No comments: