Thursday, May 24, 2007

Friends


Friends are not optional but necessary,” were the words that began David Uth’s sermon last Sunday at Orlando First Baptist Church. The following are notes I took during the message – one of the best renditions on friendship I’ve ever heard. The setting is Eccleiastes 4:9-12

I. Friends are not optional but necessary. “It is not good for man to be alone. Two are better than one.” He spoke of the importance of Life Groups where two to 12 people meet for instruction, encouragement and loving accountability – doing life together in a quest for spiritual formation.

II. Friends are not automatic, they are cultivated. The secret to cultivation is, “it’s not about me. It’s about you.” – Serving your friend.
III. Friends are not neutral, they impact your life. “Show me you friends and I’ll show you your destiny.” (We become like the books we read and the people with whom we associate.) 1 Cor.15:33 and James 4:4.
IV. Friends are not equal.
A. Acquaintance
B. Affinity friends (common interests, like hunting and fishing)
C. Friends in Christ (Proverbs 18:24)
Example: David and Jonathon in 1 Samuel 18
1. Covenant relationship I’m unconditionally committed to you.
I’m safe. I’m honest and authentic with you. You can trust
me.
2.Giving – Jonathon gave David his robe, belt, armor, a selfless act
of giving that left him vulnerable. John 15:13-Not greater love then one who lays down his life for his friends. (Sacrifice)
3. Lordship – Eccl.4:12 “A cord of three strands is not quickly
broken.” The significance of having Christ in the relationship.

No comments: