Friday, July 6, 2007

Harleys - my passion, my pulpit


Riding my Harley is my passion. My passion has become my pulpit – my ministry. I’m now president of Road Riders for Jesus, with nearly 120 in our group (in just one year) and am also coordinator of the Idaho state chapter of Road Riders. Our national organization is 1300 strong. I am on a course of study in preparation for the ministry.

Who would have ever thought this from one with a background of alcohol/drug abuse with a violent temper that as a younger man, I found myself in many fights. I went through three wives before I have the great woman I’m married to now. It is a miraculous story.

Life wasn’t pleasant as a child. Alcohol permeated our home. When dad was drunk you stayed clear to avoid arousing his combativeness. At the age of eight, I recall him beating up mom – pistol whipping her. It was the first time I wanted to murder. The scars began growing. All sorts of abuse took place – anything you can imagine. As a young teen drugs and alcohol became not only a party way of life but an escape from the pain.

I ended up dropping out of school. Went to Continuation High School. Graduated there and went back to my regular high school and finished up there also – two high school degrees! Then into the Air Force, where drugs and alcohol cost me that profession. My prejudice and hatred of other races didn’t help the matter. I shifted around from job to job, becoming a jack of all trades.

Life began to turn a different direction when my son was born. I felt like I had to become more responsible for him. A snag, though. My wife was having affairs with my friends. I came so close to murder. So close. We split, I kept my son. Lost my job. Car blew up. Son and I rode a bike to day care and to my new job. For several months lived very spartanly.

Three divorces. Chemical dependence. No money. Raising a boy. BUT, God! In His unfailing love and grace, He lured me into His net. My son wanted to go to Sunday school, having been influenced by a loving couple who invested in him. So I thought I better check out the church to make sure it was a good place for him. We were met by a greeter who made us feel welcome. Others followed suite. Then came Divorce Recovery class. Robbie took me under her wing in a singles class even though I scared her with all my rage. I met Laurie in Sunday school class. We dated. Married. What a blessing she is.

About this time I became a Christian. Got baptized. But it was a Promise Keepers message that grabbed my attention. A total commitment to God, because for the first time in my life I had a Father who was proud of me. God loved and accepted me just like I was. Ministry began to a small group of men. It was the precursor for Road Riders for Jesus.

I’m grateful for my rough past. I can meet a lot of men on their own turf. I understand what many of them have experienced. I’ve been a con artist. A fraud. A user. I know their pain. We connect quickly. I seek to lead them to the Source of Life – Jesus. I am one blessed man. My future is as bright as the promises of God.
Monroe Matthews.

No comments: