Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Rebel with a Cause


Charged with eight felonies, 70 misdemeanors, including armed robbery, possession of meth and other drugs with intent to sell, 15 petty thefts, drug paraphernalia, possession of stolen property, numerous traffic tickets, in and out of jail since the age of 17, including time in prison and he’s only 25 years old.

Shawn describes his childhood as near perfect. Dad involved in his activities – Cub Scouts, football, baseball, bowling, soccer and church. Mom such a loving mom that it helps him understand God’s love. “They did all they could to get me into activities that would keep me out of trouble.”

“Cigarettes, liquor and drugs began at the age of 12. I managed to hide this from my parents all the way until my senior year in high school. The older I got the stupider I became. By this time I was addicted to multiple things. It didn’t matter if I was abusing drugs, speeding down the neighborhood or vandalizing something as long as I wasn’t supposed to do it. I did it and loved it. I enjoyed breaking the law.”

When I asked him why the destructive behavior, Shawn words were, “poor self image, wanted acceptance from friends and I was picked on a lot as a kid for being over weight.”

“I was a functional addict. I did well in school even receiving excellent grades as a freshman in college. One day I was on my way to school and decided to help my recently incarcerated friend’s girlfriend. She wore a wire, got the goods on me and instead of being in class that day, I was sitting in a little interrogation room with three felonies and a misdemeanor.

“The insanity didn’t stop. I bailed out for $10,000 three days later and didn’t waste any time in racking up several more misdemeanors and another felony possession. Meth had control of my life. It controlled everything I did, where I went, who I hung out with and even the way I talked. My life was falling apart. I started losing everything. College performance dissipated. I lost respect from my parents. They were devastated.

“I became scum, a loser. I stole from my parents, stole about 30 cars. Kicked people’s doors in at three o’clock in the morning. That was my idea of fun.

“After one stay at Cottonwood (minimum security prison) I was running from the cops and going 85 mph I hit a truck that was going 65 mph in the other direction. By the grace of God I lived, but found myself back in prison.

This time there was a change. A spark within me, from God. I knew there was a God, but still didn’t care much to know Him. That was soon to change. Through the prayers of my Mom and Grammy a miracle happened. The judge granted me the option of a year long rehab in place of prison. I accepted. I came to Nampa’s Lighthouse Ministries. I was a reluctant participant in the program at first. But I started questioning and listening. The truth of the Gospel finally hit me and in January of this year, at a Lighthouse Chapel service, I gave my life to God – all my unwanted garbage, my whole life.

“I was rid of my things that haunted me for years. I haven’t had the urge to use drugs since. My dishonesty is now honesty. No more breaking things or stealing. The Lord is great and He is making me better day by day. I’m beginning to set tangible goals, beginning with going back to college after I’m finished at the Lighthouse in November.

“I had never lasted even 30 days in the many previous rehab programs. I’m succeeding here because of Christ in my life. I’m growing as a Christian and repairing family relationships. I’ve been sober 10 months.

My challenge to all: you have nothing without the Lord. Don’t let the world blind you as long as it blinded me. It took me 24 years to find Jesus Christ, but I got a 24-year taste of what eternity in hell feels like.”

This attitude will probably be one of Shawn’s greatest “gains through loss.” His bubbly, positive spirit is contagious and he will have a dynamic effect on young people who will be tempted to go the down route he chose. He is already having a positive impact on the people he worships with every Sunday morning. I know. I’m one of them.

No comments: