Friday, June 6, 2008

Glory of Sunset

Gretchen and son Dominick
Enjoying the past week with my daughter Gretchen and her family brought back to mind the influence of my first wife Ann. Gretchen is developing great characteristics modeled by her mother before Ann’s death. One of the most significant being her ability to make people feel appreciated and cared for.

It brings to mind Henry Ward Beecher’s comments:
When the sun finally drops below the horizon in the early evening, evidence of its work remains for some time. The skies continue to glow for a full hour after its departure.
In the same way, when a good or a great person’s life comes to it final sunset, the skies of this world are illuminated until long after she is out of view. Such a person does not die from this world, for when she departs she leaves much of herself behind and being dead, she still speaks.”

Gretchen is experiencing the glow of Ann’s sunset. Next week, I get to be with my son in Kentucky and I’ll observe the glow of his mother’s sunset there also.

I am a blessed man - two great wives! The former providing the glow of her sunset. The present, Theresa, the glory of her sunshine.

1 comment:

William R. Wallace said...

This is off topic (sort of), but I was just wondering why no child ever broke their legs falling off the rope swing y'all used to have at the house on the hill. Love ya Ray. -Russ