Monday, June 30, 2008

Alaska Fishing

Coach Hillsy helping me hold up my 37-pound King Salmon.

I said I'd be gone a week. I lied! The week with my son in Kentucky (a great time) was followed by a few days of getting ready for a trip, after which I just returned.

Just got back from a lifetime experience – King Salmon fishing in Alaska. I was blown away by sixteen men in Nampa who provided the gift of the trip for me. The beautiful scenery – mountains, rivers, bald eagles, diamond willow; wrestling with a 37-pound king salmon (man, are they strong); the kindness and thoughtfulness of the men as they helped me maneuver the rocky shoreline; nine men with a common goal, doing a "wild at heart" life experience – what a great week.


A thought for you to consider taken from Coach Dungy’s book “Quiet Strength”: “Success is uncommon and not to be enjoyed by the comman man. I’m looking for uncommon people because we want to be successful, not average. Some are uncommon because of God-given natural abilities – Yao Ming’s height, the vertical jump of Michael Jordan. Others have to work to become uncommon. Steve Kerr formerly with the Chicago Bulls, shot 500 free throws a day to make himself uncommon.”

A question to ask ourselves: am I expending the effort to make my walk with God "uncommon?"
Could my walk with people, marked by a selfless love, be called "uncommon?"

Good to be back.

1 comment:

YASPOWER said...

Great blog with nice pictures.

For more link to technology, pls visit www.yasthirah.com

For more info on soccer, pls visit http://www.aptconnections.blogspot.com/