Monday, May 4, 2009

God/Jesus Conundrum

It’s been a week since I’ve posted. Why? I’ve gotten lazy and I’m having a difficult time with the topic. See Christ and you see the Father. Know Christ and you know the Father. God drew me to Himself 63 years ago. I’ve been quite disciplined to have a “quiet time” with Him nearly daily for 63 years. I know a lot about God and a lot about Jesus, but do I REALLY know – not just on a cognitive level but an experiental one that can be characterized by “enjoying God?” I’m standing convicted by the Word and by my own writing.

Consequently, don’t face it – for a week! But it is time to dig in and learn. So, come with me back to John 14 amd verse 7. If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!” Jesus is really zeroing here on the God/Christ connection. See Christ and you see God. Know Christ and know God.

I can relate to Philip in verse 8 - Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” Do you blame him for asking that question? I suspect the others felt the same way, but Phillip had the courage to ask. In fact, that is the question I’m wrestling with now, trying to understand and explain this “God the Father / Jesus the Son” relationship.
I’m wondering if Christ’s words in verses 9-11 might be what He is saying to me also. Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me. 11 Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.

I need some help here. Tuorning to The IVP Commentary, it states: Philip has not really known Jesus (v. 9) because at the center of Jesus' identity is his relation to the Father, a relation of such intimacy that Jesus can say anyone who has seen me has seen the Father (v. 9). We have the language of agency, reflecting the idea that one's representative is "like to himself". But the way Jesus describes this relationship goes far beyond the notion of an agent, for he speaks of a mutual indwelling: I am in the Father, and . . . the Father is in me (v. 10). He does not simply represent the Father, he presents him. Such complete union means that Jesus' words and deeds have their source in the Father (v. 10; cf. 5:36; 8:28; 10:38). Jesus may be the Father's agent, but the Father is also the agent at work through Jesus. Jesus does not say, however, that he is the Father. Throughout the gospel Jesus maintains a careful distinction between his oneness with God and his distinctness from him .

Thus, elements of all three of the forms of sight are included in Jesus' response to Philip. The incarnation points to the value of these first two types of sight, the physical and the intellectual, but in themselves they do not go deep enough. Physical sight is involved in observing Jesus, but this form of seeing is the least significant element, since even the opponents had that. Intellectual insight is important, because Philip is supposed to draw out the implications of what he has seen and heard in Jesus. But again this is not enough, for even the opponents have seen the implications but have rejected them.

The third type of sight is needed, that which comes through faith. Jesus asks Philip whether he believes that the Father and the Son dwell within one another (v. 10). Then he addresses all the disciples, saying, Believe] me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves (v. 11). They should trust his claim or, if need be, go to the evidence of the deeds he has done. These deeds have manifested "his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth" (1:14). "The faith at issue is the faith that man really encounters God in his encounter with Jesus, that Jesus and the Father are one" (Bultmann 1971:609). Until they grasp this aspect of Jesus' identity they cannot really understand anything else about him.

“Father, this isn’t helping me much. Would you bring clarity to this 70-year-old fuzzy brain so that I can not only understand it better but be able to communicate the truth more succintly and clearly – “I am in the Father and the Father is in me.”

Heading to Oregon today for a funeral (Theresa’s aunt). Will catch up with you toward the end of the week. If you have any words of wisdom for me, I'm at rburwick@mindspring.com.

No comments: