Thursday, May 21, 2009

God’s Kratos Available

I am convicted and confused by the following Biblical passage.
Ephesians 3:20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.

I’m convicted and confused by these passages because I don’t see a supernatural power working through me, though I’ve been a committed follower of Jesus Christ for 63 years, have asked for it, have believed. Not there, as I perceive it. Am I alone? How do you feel personally about this Biblical challenge? Let’s walk through this together.

The word “power” is from the Greek “kratos” which could be called a “demonstrated power.” It is not just an intellectual awareness or hypothetical principle, but a tangible and explosive power that has outward manifestation. Paul describes it in Ephesians 1:19-20 - I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms.

Kratos was demonstrated with the Roman soldiers who guarded Christ’s tomb that were so overwhelmed by it they fainted and crumbled to the ground, not able to rise until the resurrection.
The power that raised Christ from the dead. The power that overwhelmed the tomb guards – is available to you and me as followers of Christ. With this empowering presence of the Holy Spirit working in our lives, we can expect the very same power to operate in us.

It ain’t workin’. Something’s wrong. “Abba PaPa, I’m not experiencing Kratos in a demonstrative manner. Why? Would you please enlighten me? Amen.” More on this tomorrow. Got any thoughts? rburwick@mindspring.com

No comments: