Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Kratos and Dunamis

Something is amiss. I’m still questioning about kratos and me. “If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking,” James 1:5. In my quest for understanding kratos (God’s demonstrated power that is available to us), I’m asking God for wisdom. I’m searching Scripture. I’m seeking others’ views. (Thanks Montana Gary for your input.)

One source of study is Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible. Kratos and dunamis are both used in the Greek rendition of the word “power”. In fact Paul uses both words in his letter to the Ephesians. Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words defines dunamis in the same manner as kratos – specific supernatural power, ability. That means that there are more Biblical passages that are both convicting and confusing.

Listing a few of the other convicting passages:
John 14:12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.
2 Tim.1: 7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.
Phil.3: 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
Eph.1: 18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength,20 which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.
1 Cor.4: 20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.


My dialgoue with God sounds like this: “Abba PaPa, HELP! Why am I not experiencing this kratos or dunamis that you say is available to me as a follower of Jesus?

“”What kind of power do you want, Ray?”

“That power, that as Renner states, ‘lay hands on the sick, pray with power and authority, speak the word of faith in every situation and see mountains move on my and others behalf.’ Selfishly, I’d like to see healing for my hip, needing no surgery; and for my Parkinsons’s which at times is totally wasting; for my stuttering that I’d be able to communicate without the frustration of tangled tongue. But even more so, the power, the annointing, to draw people to yourself and to pray for others’ emotional and physical healing, especially the emotional.”

The dialogue at this point stops there. By the way, in going through some old writing, I’m reminded that I struggled with this topic before. Sure must be a slow learner! More tommorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your wonderful post and I thought I would share something you may find helpful in the pursuit to be strong in Him and in His mighty power.
I learned to seek Him in the secret, make Him everything and ask, seek and knock that he would anoint me to help display his love and Lordship in power and he responded!
BUT...the most powerful breakthroughs came as I learned from those who already walked in power and brought me to an understanding of a Hebrews six elementary foundation...the laying on of hands. IMPARTATION. There will be a breakthrough here. Ask and receive.

it's never been the same. He is a God of grace, empowerment and inheritance! Receive!

I pray a wonderful possession of God over you this week! You are a faithful man and a blessing to many, do not forget it. Powerless Christianity is a lie.
Oh and I release healing over that hip in Jesus name!
He is a healer! and He is in love with you! :) c'mon Jesus!