Monday, June 1, 2009

God's Power: Possible Blockades

In our quest for understanding and acquiring God’s power (kratos) avaliable to us, questions we can ask are:
Was kratos available only for people at the time it was written – not for today? Like the dietary laws of the Old Testament?
Is my problem a lack of faith? I don’t REALLY believe that kratos is for me? Like, Mark 9:18-19 …. So I asked your disciples to cast out the evil spirit, but they couldn’t do it.” Jesus said to them, “You faithless people! How long must I ….”
Is there sin in my life of which I’m not aware that is rendering me powerless? Psalm 66:18 If I had not confessed the sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.
Am I just misinterpeting Scripture?
Would it lead me to an attitude of power control?
Am I undisciplined; not meeting requirements to obtain kratos?
Is there a resistance to allow God to have control of an area of my life?
Am I nurturing a discontent about life leading to subtle resentment toward God?
Is self sufficiency – self confidence ruling my life rather than Christ-confidence?
Is there a subtle sense of entitlement – God owes me?
Am I not living “a life worthy of the Lord, pleasing Him in every way, bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God?
Am I ignorant of Scripture? Matt. 22:29 Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.
A major blockage issue for me, I believe, would be spiritual pride. Am I wanting kratos for the wrong reasons – to edify me? Most of my life I’ve been an approval/recognition addict. Being empowered to do “signs and wonders” could lead to an attitude of, “hey world, look at me. Look at what I can do.” Spiritual pride is the ugliest!

Hmm! That last one has a ring of truth to me!
One more power post tomorrow.

No comments: