Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Proud papa. Happy Barron Olaf.
Will you discover with me one more time, the value of internalizing Scripture?
For prosperity, widsom and success. Joshua 1:8 This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.
This is the only place in the early English versions where the word "success" is found. The secret of success is given in verses 5 through 9. Joshua accepted Moses' place of leadership without misgivings. God's will for him was his will, and he did not hesitate. To go "all out" for God was already habitual with him; it is the unfailing prerequisite of eternal success (Deut. 6:3-5; Ps. 1:1-3; Luke 10:25-28).

The Psalmist describes the value of Scripture in 19:7-13 The instructions of the LORD are perfect, reviving the soul. The decrees of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The commandments of the LORD are right, bringing joy to the heart.The commands of the LORD are clear, giving insight for living. Reverence for the LORD is pure, lasting forever. The laws of the LORD are true; each one is fair. They are more desirable than gold, even the finest gold. They are sweeter than honey, even honey dripping from the comb. They are a warning to your servant, a great reward for those who obey them. How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart? Cleanse me from these hidden faults. Keep your servant from deliberate sins! Don’t let them control me. Then I will be free of guilt and innocent of great sin.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" (Ps. 119:105). There are times that God speaks to His children directly, sometimes in that quiet inner soul voice and at other times directly through the Scripture. There is a Greek word for that called, “rhema,” defined as meaning "living". The Bible is often spoken of as the "Living" Word of God.
I recall one time specifically that God spoke to me, first through that inner soul voice and then confirmed it with a Biblical passage.
I was approaching the age of 60, praying, “Father, I don’t want to be like many of the characters described in the Bible who started out strong and then fizzled out. I desire to stay strong with you personally and in my vocation.”
As this prayer unfolded over a period of time, I thought God spoke to me, saying, “Multiply.” Shortly after that, 2 Timothy 2:2 leaped off the page to me. Paul speaking, You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others. In other words, multiply.

Shortly thereafter, I was asked to take a position at a Christian College, teaching psychology, counseling and coaching women’s basketball. Wow! Invest in the lives of Christian students who will become teachers, preachers, business people who will invest their lives in others. That is multiplication.

We closed the counseling practice. Sold the horse ranch. Moved to Tennessee and made some wonderful connections with students and faculty. Multiplication!
Then an upheaval. It began with my wife, Ann’s death of a brain aneurysm; continued with being unjustly fired by the college; and then, all vocational doors closed until now (10 years). It seemed like I had not really heard from God. This was not “going out strong” as I had planned.

Looking back at the experience, I can now say with confidence that I did in fact hear from God. Multiplication is taking place. I have the privilege of investing in others through small groups, one with one mentoring and just plain ol’ loving on and encouraging others. But for me to “go out strong” He first had to strip away much self-sufficiency, pride and other fleshly baggage that has and is taking place. The process is painful. The product, great. Peace of mind. Contentment. Fulfillment. And more. Going out strong has had a different twist than I had planned.

“Learning to hear God’s voice is a lifelong process. You’ll come to understand with greater clairity the unique dialect that God will use with you. He doesn’t speak the same way to all people.” (Tome) Some Scripture will leap off the page for you. God may speak to you through dreams, or counsel from other people, Our responsibility and privilege is to develop a keen ear to listen for His voice in any situation. We’ll learn to recognize His voice in increments – usually beginning with little issues. As we listen and obey, He can trust us with deeper communication.
The value of internalizing Scripture – hearing the voice of God.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Multiplying. Yes, Ray, you are being multiplied, having your Lord's touch upon the lives of a multitude. I see the counter on Gain Through Loss is over 9,000 hits. That represents a lot of lives--I know that I often pass on your blog either by quoting your or adding the link. You are touching a multitude not to mention all of us disciples that predate the blog. Blessings, Bro.