Thursday, June 4, 2009

Power: Heading to Conclusion

The fog is clearing. The mist is rising. I believe I’m beginning to get a handle on this quest for God-ordained power. Recall with me the scores of scriptures that challenge us to tap into God’s power for effective living, possibly described best in Acts 1: 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

I’d still like to have God’s power to heal the sick, and I believe He will give that to me if He chooses and at His timing. However what I believe He is saying to me now (if I’m listening accurately) is found in 2Cor.12: 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

So I ask myself the question, “what is my greatest weakness? Where do I most need God’s empowering?” The answer I believe is in conquering my self-centeredness.

When I’ve shared that with two of my groups last week, they poo-pood that, one person saying, You’re too hard on yourself. There is no way you are self-centered. You’re always giving of your time and energy to others.” Outwardly, I look others-focused. But inwardly there is a strong pattern of some self hyphenated being - self-sufficient, self-confident, self righteous, self pity, coupled with a tendency toward spiritual pride, and on and on.

How can God’s power be best demonstrated in and through me? Is it in raising the dead, healing the sick and various outward manifestations of signs and wonders? No, I don’t think so. Although I would like to have the gift of healing, I believe God would be most honored by empowering me to continue to grow in setting aside self, focus on loving and serving others and to see my neediness for the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to live life abundantly, as He promised.

So, what is my (our) role in God’s empowering me (us)? Staying connected with Jesus by hungering and thirsting after the things of the Lord with a spirit of humility and brokenness and being sensitive to who and when He wants to serve and love others through me.This is both a priviledge and a responsibility, probably best happening when I am the least conscious of it.

Could the ultimate expression of power be demonstrated by Jesus when He “got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.” John 13:4-5

“God, grant me the attitude of Christ so that I may be a clean empty conduit through which Your power flows – however and to whomever you choose, loving, serving and encouraging others being Your witness in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.".

You won’t want to miss tomorrow’s post. My Montana friend, Gary, has some deep, outstanding insights into this power question that I’ll share with you.

No comments: