Monday, June 22, 2009

Significance of Scripture

Barron Olaf Burwick - in the driver's seat!!!
The four components of an effective, fruitful, dynamic walk with Christ according to Brian Tome in his book Welcome to the Revolution are Bible, prayer, community and mission.

Tome tells the story of famous writer and thinker G.K. Chesterton who was asked, “If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, which book would it be?” Because Chesterton was an eloquint, outspoken and influential Christ-follower, it was expected that he would respond with, “the Bible.” His response? “I’d want a practical guide to shipbuilding.”

In a sense, a practical guide to shipbuilding describes the Bible. God’s Word is a practical guide to get us where we want to go, to navigate the tumulteous waters that life presents us.
Many are the Christian leaders who claim that our generation has neglected the study of Scripture. We’re missing out on it’s benefits, making our journeys much more difficult. So, my desire is to thoroughly explore with you what the Bible says of itself. The value of being engulfed consistently with Holy Scripture! May I be so bold as to suggest memorization!

Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever. The Bible is not a pop-psychology flash in the pan system that scratches where people itch. It is long-lasting, for eternity, by which the Creator of the Universe communicates with His people.

1 Peter 2:2 Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation. Cry out for this nourishment. I just spent some time in Kentucky with my son and his family, the latest addition being 4-month old Barron Olaf. (Olaf taken from his grandfather’s middle name!!! yea.) Barron would definitely let those within earshot know that it was feeding time. His craving was auditorally magnified for all to hear. How pleasing to him was his parent’s response and subsequent nourishment. Oh, that you and I would consistently cry out for and seek the sustenance of the Word.

Psalm 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. In fact the longest chapter in the Bible, Psalm 119 is a treatise on the value of God’s Word. Let’s look at the first few verses.
Psalm 119: 1-16 Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the LORD. Joyful are those who obey his laws and search for him with all their hearts. They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths. You have charged us to keep your commandments carefully. Oh, that my actions would consistently reflect your decrees! Then I will not be ashamed when I compare my life with your commands.As I learn your righteous regulations, I will thank you by living as I should! I will obey your decrees. Please don’t give up on me! How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have tried hard to find you— don’t let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word.

Results of following God’s directives? Joy. No guilt. Staying pure. Don’t sin. And the remainder of the 176 verses indicate further value of being familiar with and in adherence to the Bible.

I’m on a mission – to encourage us to saturate our minds with God’s Word. Read it. Study it. Memorize it. The payoff for the discipline involved is immeasurable.

More in tomorrow’s post.

No comments: