Monday, November 2, 2009

Significance of Scripture Memorization


Montana Gary responded to “Bible Bored” with this comment: “It always amazes me just how much more I see in a passage when I write it out longhand. It is so easy to take computer shortcuts but I find so much more when I am forced to write each word. It may not be quick or easy but it is worthwhile if we really want to know the Word.”

I’ve mentioned the Significance of Scripture Memorization previously; however, as my capacity to memorize is dwindling, I’d like to challenge you all to consider memorizing the Bible (if that is not a part of your regimen.)
We are told in Psalm 119:11 to treasure God’s Word by hiding it in our hearts so that we will not sin against God. In memorizing Scripture, we are cultivating a biblical sense of the presence of God and developing a resource that will be used by the Holy Spirit to bring relevant thoughts or insight, to mind (for ourselves and for others.)

The Bible is the spiritual nutrients that energizes and empowers us. “I have not strayed from God’s commands. I have treasured His words – they are more essential than my basic need for food.” (Job 23:12) The words of Scripture are used by God to penetrate and transform the hearts of His people.

In tomorrow’s post, we’ll discuss again the healing impact of memorizing Scripture.

No comments: