Saturday, February 13, 2010

Eulogy part 2



Been thinking much lately about the word “purpose.” What is my purpose in life at the age of 70+, retired and without significant responsibilities? “Without a vision, the people perish.” Without a purpose, life becomes mundane, dreary, and for some depressing.

Takes me back to Tom Osborne’s book that recommends following Covey’s suggestion, “Write your own euology follwed up with writng your mission statement.” As this is carried out, purpose for living should stand out loud and clear.

One person responded to my eulogy query, saying, “The one my grandfather sent to my own father often was, "Be faithful son, it's better farther on." That speaks to purpose for the future – later, even for life after death. And we can be in such a state of emotional or physical dissary, that the only hope we have is for an eternal walk with God after we die.

But how about for now? Gary writes, “The story of a good life—boy, you really can come up with challenges! So much easier to just think about it than to do it and then live accordingly. Deciding what is most important, what we would like to be known for, the legacy of our lives, and then living up to that desire… you really give us little wiggle room. If I commit it to paper, I should then follow up with appropriate actions.”

Gary goes on to relate a personal challenge. “Curious you held off until the day after my annual performance review at work. For the umpteenth year, I was given rave kudos for everything except what means the most to me. I am known for being more than blunt with fellow employees (and managers) when they under perform our company standards or my expectations. It was mentioned this year that others dread finding out who came to work, me or the other guy. After more than a dozen reviews with the same intent, I am faced with the realization that I definitely do not represent the image of Christ to my peers or leaders in the marketplace. If they were to eulogize me, I would not be happy at all with their honesty. Time to deal with my frustration differently and effectively. Christ died for these folks.

"Interesting how we can express a character so far from our intent, our heart, our mindset, and so far from who Christ is that others take our mistaken identity as who we really are.

"It will be a while before I write a eulogy for it cannot be based on intent but rather expression.”

Gary’s writing is so refreshing, so authentic. I’ll be excited to see what he comes up with.

In thinking of my own eulogy, I sure would like it to read as did Noah’s and Enoch’s
Genesis 5:22 And Enoch walked with God … Genesis 6:9 …Noah walked with God.

I’ll have to live to 120 years of age for God to have time to purge all that is within that keeps me from living out that desire completely. “Ray walks with God” is much more apparent now than a few years ago. ' But a ways to go.
If my mission is to walk with God, then I need to fine tune a plan to meet that objective. And carry it out!

No comments: