Monday, February 15, 2010

Life's Purpose

Our Kentucky kids, sans Ray II
"Whose life is it, anyway?" A plea by the late Sue Rodrigues, a high-profile, terminally-ill resident of British Columbia, Canada, who suffered from ALS. It is reported that she was helped to commit suicide by a physician in violation of Canadian law in the presence of a Member of Parliament. Neither the doctor nor the MP were prosecuted. A number of states have legalized doctor-assisted suicide.


The Bible says, “Without a vision, the people perish.” Without a purpose for living, a significance for existence, a meaningful life is impaired. The ultimate impairment is the destruction of oneself, quickly by suicide or chronically through dysfunctional thinking or behavior.

Be it the male midlife crisis, “Is that all there is to life?” Or the aging process, “What do I have to live for?” Or the sickness/disease model, “My quality of life is such that I want out.” Or the empty nest where kids were the focus. Whatever the case, life must have meaning, a purpose, or some dysfunction surfaces. Like depression, moodiness, anxiety, or chronic illness.

My situation is fairly typlical. Over the age of 70. Forced retirement. A debilitating disease (Parkinson’s) that stifles my normal life activity. Performance-orientation brought to an abrupt halt. Plus an advanced pattern of stuttering, curbing speaking oportunities.
Without a purpose for living, it leaves me these options, from which to choose:
Self pity – look what I’ve lost. See what I can’t do now.
• Chronic entitlement – “life owes me.”
• Relax, have fun. Enjoy retirement with no focus on responsibilities.
• Be grateful for what I’ve had and what I have. Enjoy life. Seek to listen to that quiet voice from heaven saying, “this is the way, walk ye in it.” Show me my purpose, Abba Papa.
More tomorrow on life's purpose

No comments: