Tuesday, February 16, 2010

LIfe's Purpose - 2

Bella Rose Burwick Ft. Thomas, Ky.

I’m incapable of delineating all the nuances of the meaning of life, nor am I interested in delving into all the philosophical, scientific and theological explanations for man’s purpose.


Questions like the following have been bantered around by cultural and idealogical gurus for years on end:
• What is the meaning of life? What's it all about? Who are we?
• Why are we here?
• What is the origin of life?
• What is the purpose of life?
• What is the significance of life?
• What is meaningful and valuable in life?
• What is the reason to live?


These questions have resulted in a wide range of competing answers and arguments, from scientific theories, to philosophical, theological, and spiritual explanations all of which can muddy the Purpose of Life waters.


At this stage in my life I’m not interested in a lot of philosophical mumbo jumbo. I just want to know who I am. What I’m to do and who I am to become. I think I’ve got a fair handle on who I am – a child of God and loved by Him immensley and as a follower of Jesus I am endowed with the power of His Spirit. Who I am to become – in the process of becoming more like Christ (Romans 8:29). But out of this “being”, what am I to do? What is my purpose? Let’s explore.


If I turn to Søren Kierkegaard, he would tell me that life is full of absurdity, and one must make his and her own values in an indifferent world.

Existentialism tells me that each man and each woman creates the essence (meaning) of his and her life; life is not determined by a supernatural god or an earthly authority, one is free.

Friedrich Nietzsche, says that life is worth living only if there are goals inspiring one to live.

King Solomon, recorded in the book of Ecclesiastics, tells us that all is vanity – eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you may die.


The Bahá'í Faith emphasizes the unity of humanity. To Bahá'ís, the purpose of life is focused on spiritual growth and service to humanity. Human beings are viewed as intrinsically spiritual beings. People's lives in this material world provide extended opportunities to grow, to develop divine qualities and virtues, and the prophets were sent by God to facilitate this.

Viktor Frankl's 1946 book Man's Search for Meaning, which is in the top ten best selling books in America, chronicles his experiences as a concentration camp inmate and describes his psychotherapeutic method (logotherapy) of finding a reason to live.


Frankl concluded after experiencing and observing much suffering in the camp, that the meaning of life is found in every moment of living; life never ceases to have meaning, even in suffering and death. Frankl concludes from his experience that a prisoner's psychological reactions are not solely the result of the conditions of his life, but also from the freedom of choice he always has even in severe suffering. The inner hold a prisoner has on his spiritual self relies on having a faith in the future, and that once a prisoner loses that faith, he is doomed. Frankl's meaning in life is to help others find theirs.


Our exploration continues in tomorrow's post. Barron Olaf Burwick

No comments: