Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rafting trauma - Susan's View


Continuing John Vawter's Colorado River experience…from wife,Susan’s perspective.

The trip up Havasu Creek was a moderate hike. But, its beauty was awesome because of the turquoise colored water with many small falls and pools in which to cool our feet.

On the return down to the boats, the last leg of the hike along the Colorado was an area of tiered layers of rock slanting down to the swiftly flowing waters.

With just a little misstep of my right foot I was suddenly tumbling down the short slope and into the waters of the Colorado which were very turbulent and fast moving at that point.

My first thought was the three-part instructions that our boatmen had impressed on us, if one were to fall off the boat:

1. Hold on tight to the life vest

2. Keep your feet facing down-stream

3. Try to keep eye contact with your boat…to get direction

Immediately I tried to do those things but it occurred to me---“I don’t have a life vest on.”

My second thought was, “Oh, Lord, I need You! Help me!’

I struggled to stay on the surface as turbulent water pulled me under several times. Just as I was swept past and under our boats tied to the shore, I looked up to see a man leaping into the water toward me with a yellow flotation cushion. Craig (a boatman from one of the other boats tied there) immediately had hold of me, told me his name, asked me my name and calmly explained that we were moving down the rock walls into a more sheltered area created by an eddy until our boat came to pick us up.

Zach, my boat captain quickly joined us in the water and the two rescuers gently herded me like a lost sheep into the safe alcove of rock. They were like angels to me. I immediately felt I was going to be okay.

Craig “happened” to come back to his boat ahead of his group because of a broken flip flop. This was providential timing because Zach, our boatman, would not have been able to get to me in time to catch up to me as the water swept me downstream.

Our boats were all wedged tightly together at the mooring because of the strength of the current. The men of our group all rallied to push the boats apart to free our boat. Butch, our leader, cut the lines instead of untying them in order to get out to us quickly.

After pulling me up on the boat, Ana, a young woman who is a firefighter/paramedic immediately began assessing my condition and applying first aid to some scrapes as well as getting me into warm, dry clothes.

Our son Michael’s face was one of the first I saw on the boat and that was a huge comfort to have him there hugging me. It also made me realize how serious this was because of how stricken and emotional he was.

That evening we had a “last night” gathering around the camp fire. There were funny awards and thanks to our crew. I asked to be able to share briefly. I thanked Zach and our crew, as well as Ana the paramedic. (I could not thank Craig because he was with his group on another part of the river.) I also told of recently memorizing Psalm 23 and that in the wakeful times in the night I would recite it and mediate on the words in the psalm. I realized that the “Good Shepherd” had led me into still waters. He had taken me through the valley of the shadow of death and that His “rod” and “staff” had comforted me. I renamed “His rod and staff” Craig and Zach as they were His instruments for my care and comfort.

Looking back on the trip, it was all I had dreamed of as to the beauty of the canyon and the camaraderie of the group. Having our son Michael with me brought us even closer together. The “accident” caused us to bond in an even greater way. He was so tender and caring to me.

It seems miraculous that not only was I rescued so quickly but that my injuries are so minor…a badly bruised hand and wrist and some areas of “rock rash”—all of which will heal quickly.

Because I have been studying “heaven” lately, I was confident and ready to go be with the Lord but I did not sense that my life here was finished yet. I am looking forward to what else God has planned for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?
I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good success.
If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!


my blog weight loss centers