Monday, December 6, 2010

REFINING FIRE

So what are you learning, Burwick? What is the value of the tough time that your blog heading purposes? You gave up a comfortable life style and deep friendships in Idaho for what you thought was God’s call to minister love and encouragement to children and grandchildren living in Northern Kentucky. You thought you’d be building a pole barn and house. Instead, you are flat on your back in a hospital wondering if you’ll be able to use your left leg again.

In my journal of this morning, I think I plumbed some deeper depths. Kinda
embarrassing to share. The guy who counseled thousands, who memorized vast portions of Scripture, who seemingly had everything “together,” wrote:

“why did I say yesterday, I can run but I can’t hide? No place to run or hide. No deep male relationships to escape to. No performance opp, cept a little wood carving on my diamond willow. So am I acceptable as is? No advice to give. No trophies to recognize. Just a one-legged, good for little 71-year-old has-been. No strength. No energy. No goals. Why push hard in PT? To what end?”

Sounds like a good dose of pity-party. Ugly.
I’m not sure what I’m running from besides self-esteem issues. Possibly some
depression. I’m not sure what God’s plan is, except that which is given to His people in general throughout Scripture, encapsulated best in a “doing” and “being” combination.

Do: make disciples. Matthew 28:19 Go to the people of all nations and make them my disciples. Baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, 20 and teach them to do everything I have told you. I will be with you always, even until the end of the world.
”James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Be: conformed to the image of Christ (Romans 8:29) And it seems like the game plan to that end is for us to see what needs change to transform us to be more like Christ. This usually means experiencing a tough time or as MalachI 3 describes it - a refiners fire
2 But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner’s fire or a launderer’s soap. 3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness,

“What is God doing with me through this trying time?” (Not only the physical challenges but the loss of what I had in Idaho.) I believe that God in His gentle, loving way is surfacing more of Burwick - my self-sufficiency, spiritual pride, self absorption…the kind of stuff that needs the refiner’s fire, conforming me to the image of Christ.'

GOD SPEED THE DAY

No comments: