Sunday, April 10, 2011

Relationships 5

The 85-year-old Samford University English Prof, stood about 5 foot one inch. Should have been retired, but he loved the school and the students kept him young. Dr. (I’ve forgotten his name) always had a smilel on his cheery countenance.

I asked him one cloudy, rainy day why he always had a smile? He paused for just a moment and replied, “Every morning when I awaken, I make my own weather.”

His reply reminds me of weather and relationships. Proverbs 17:17a states, “Friends love through all kinds of weather.” I’ve spent most of my life being so performance oriented that relationships took a back seat. Now that the four-wheeler accident has caused a limited activity, I’m appreciating even more clearly the significance of friends.

That Wednesdeay morning men’s group in Nampa hung with each other through all kinds of “weather”. Even though we are separated by 2500 miles, my thoughts often return to that special group of guys. “S… you’re still a friend champ.”

Or Mark, part of a three-man set of years ago, Through a 2-year stint on the mission field and now living in California, he and his wife have become such special friends to the “cain-tucky hill billies,” Ray and Theresa..

Or John, when he heard that Ann, my first wife, died unexpectadly, immediately got on the phone and said, “I’ll get on the next plane possible, if you need me.”

Or Jerry, my college roomie of 50 years ago. Being that both of us are of Scandinavian blood, less talk, more actioin – but great fellowship.

Or Dr. Wayne, who helped me get started in my Birmingham counseling practice.

Or Gary, my long distance friend who is so encouraging. I could go on and on. I’ve been so blessed with special friends.

Then there is D… He couldn’t weather the storm. A cruel, false rumor about me was believed by him and he turned from being the most selfless, atetntive friend before and after Ann’s death, to one who won’t communicate with me. I think that is called a “fair weather friend.”

Just going through this writing exercize has reminded me of how blessed I am. May I suggest the same exercize for you?

No comments: