Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9-11 Plus 6


Today is 9-11 plus 6. I’m taking a break in the salt and light discipleship metaphors to commemorate the memory of those who lost their lives six years ago. And to build upon the name of this blog “gain through loss.”

No question, 9-11 had major loss of lives, money, a safe nation and on and on. Was there gain from that horrendous loss? I picked up the Boise Statesman this morning to read this heading: “Men from a banking firm lost 67 colleagues. Six years later, they say some good came from the tragedy.”

I quote one man, “It has made me more decisive in terms of doing things. You have a different appreciation of time and how much time you have…. If there is stuff I want to do or a decision I have to make, I just make it now. Why wait? You may not be around tomorrow.”

That doesn’t help those who lost a loved one, but is an example of framing your world. Can your tough time(s) be framed in such a fashion that you can say with St. Paul, “All things work together for good to those who love God and are the called according to His purpose.”

My miniscule 9-11 is my stuttering. Blocking on words has become very rpofound of late. Even had to write a word in chaulk on my driveway as I was talking to my neighbor and got stuck on a word. Couldn’t get it out. That is discouraging, disheartening and I must confess, have spent some time partying – selfpity party! It is a struggle right now but I believe God is going to come through with some insight for me that will help me frame it from His fashion. There will be gain through loss.

Another article in today’s paper described Kevin Everett, a football player with the Buffalo Bills, lying in a hospital bed – paralyzed. His "9-11." The severe spinal injury happened at tackling contact. “A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely,” his doctor said. He’ll probably never walk again. Can there be gain through that loss? I hope Kevin has a strong faith in God that will carry him through this catastrophe (if he lives.)

If you’re not going to the Pendleton Roundup in Oregon this week, my gain is your loss! Will spend the rest of the week there with my college roommate, which we do annually. So the next post to this blog will be next Monday. See you then.

No comments: