Monday, September 24, 2007

Paual's prayers


The importance of prayer is touted by most if not all Christian leaders. A study of the “Lord’s Prayer” in Matthew is the most famous model of prayer. However, in trying to make my prayer life more effective, I’ve enjoyed examining Paul’s prayers found in Colossians (1:9-14); Ephesians (1:16-21 & 3:16-20); and Philippians (1:9-11). I have combined them into the following prayer ingredients. The letters and numbers in brackets designate which book and chapter from which the phrase is taken.

That you be rooted and grounded in the love of Christ that is beyond understanding (E.3),- (that means the passage found in Ephesians 3.) and that you realize you have been delivered from the power of darkness and conveyed into the kingdom of Christ’s love for redemption and forgiveness (E.1).

My prayer response:"Father, may I see Your hand of love in every aspect of my life so that living becomes a daily adventure with You.”
Know that Christ dwelling in your heart (E.3) allows you to be partaker of the inheritance of the saints (C.1), the riches of the glory of His inheritance (E.1), and that you are filled with the fruit of the Spirit for God’s glory (P.1).

“Father, increase my awareness of who I really am and what I possess because of Christ indwelling me. This will shift my focus from self-confidence to God-confidence, not for my productivity glory but Yours.”

That you know the hope of His calling (E.1). Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

When circumstantial hopelessness rears its ugly head, fill me by the power of Your Holy Spirit with hope in You which provides a positive life expectancy inundated with joy and peace.”

That you may have enlightened eyesight (E.1) for an increasing knowledge of God (C.1 & E.1), filled with the knowledge of God’s will (C.1), ever growing in knowledge and understanding to live pure lives (P.1).

I desire that my increasing knowledge of You, Father, translate into a more intimate sense of Your presence, a simultaneity resulting in a motivation for greater purity of life.”

That your inner man be strengthened with Holy Spirit might (E.3 & C.1), experiencing the greatness of His power – even resurrection power (E.1), filled with the fullness of God that is able to do more then we can ask or think (E.3).

“I’ve lived too long with lip service to Your power, living what seems to be so far beneath my privileges. Live Your powerful life through me for Your glory bringing fruit to Your kingdom.”

That you walk worthy of the Lord, pleasing Him (C.1), fruitful in every good work (C.1), being patient and longsuffering with joy, possessing an ever deepening grateful spirit. (C.1)

May my interactions with people today be so marked by a patient, joyful, grateful spirit that they be attracted to Christ within me.”

Summary: My prayer for you and for myself is to more deeply sense and experience God’s love; to understand our inheritance as saints; to be empowered by the Holy Spirit; to be filled with hope; then, to walk out our position in Christ with demonstrated love to others, while developing a joyful, patient and grateful spirit.

1 comment:

Theresa Burwick said...

My dear PW, this is a wonderful blog! So full of scriptural truth. I'm going to copy it and print it off so I can review it frequently. You and your blog are a wonderful gift to me and many others!

Much love to you - T