Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Begin self-examination - Identity 15

Self examination doesn't begin like the picture depicts. While visiting a beautiful old church in Puerto Vallarta last week, we observed this little lady knee walking (an upright crawl) from the rear of the church toward the front altar. I admired her devotion but was saddened to think she didn't realize she had direct access to the Throne of Grace, because of the Cross.

Well, if penitence isn't the answer, how does healthy self examination begin? Look at David's intention of Psalm 26:2: Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind;
Or Psalm 51:6-7 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

David is not speaking of morbid introspection. God must be allowed to examine our innermost being.
Somber self-analysis, a continual feeling of one's emotional pulse, leads to greater self-centeredness that masquerades as holy struggle to mature in Christ. Instead, it is usually a means of avoiding responsibility.

This kind of person says to him/herself, "I must spend three hours a day in prayer, making sure there is no sin in my life." However, what is really happening is that the prayer time becomes a convenient excuse for not doing house work which the person terribly detests. How could anyone chastise them for spending three hours in prayer?

Self examination is not morbid introspection but God-directed self scrutiny that has an inner - upward - outward focus, from self to God to others. An uncovering of that within that stifles our dependency on and freedom in Jesus Christ. The inner gaze reveals pride, wounds, selfishness, hurt, hate, guilt, insecurity and a host of other varmits that knaw at the underpinnings of our faith and joy in Christ - the inner focus.

Freedom results as the inner gaze shifts to the upper focus. The place of grace, forgiveness, mercy and healing. From that inner, upward examination comes an outward emphasis, loving and serving others. Allowing Christ to live His life through us to those with whom we come in contact. Also, experiencing a healthier and godly self image.

Tomorrow's post will indicate how we can allow God to examine us through four different media: direct search, by His countenance, by the Word and through people.

1 comment:

William R. Wallace said...

Great to read from you again, Ray. Somber self-analysis leading to greater self-centerdness. I know about that place only too well. Your post reminded me of having noticed it myself several times over the last couple of weeks. Also, I was at Best Buy (aka "the toy barn") tongiht, using up a gift card, and remembered: I don't want THINGS, I want RELATIONSHIPS.