Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Who Are You 8 - Our Real Identity


We spoke in yesterday’s blog of God being our total Resource. We tend to look to others, however God is our only Source of stability for love and joy. Russell commented to the blog, “What about Genesis 2:18, which reads: The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

Tough question, Russell. I like it. How do you handle Genesis 2:18 contrasted with Philippians 4:19 “And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Allow this non-theologian to take a stab at understanding this seeming contradiction.
I believe God’s basic plan for most people is marriage. Rare is the person with the gift of celibacy. But even in marriage, the tendency is to look to the spouse to meet our needs. When we feel those needs aren’t being met, we either become clingy and possessive, trying harder to get our needs met or we build a wall of hurt and resentment. Withdrawal from the intimate relationship usually results in the genesis of marital upheaval.

Consequently, Scripture would indicate that our primary source for meeting our deep longings and needs is God. Out of that well of resource, our focus becomes giving and serving our spouse rather than getting from our spouse. Giving over getting. When you have both parties in the relationship with this type of heart, the relationship becomes deeply fulfilling and meaningful. If only one of the two is engaged in this game plan, the one finds the exercise a personal strength producing training and the receiver stagnates in personal growth. Thus, the foundational truth is “My God shall supply all my needs.” Secondary truth is, “ it is not good for man to be alone.”

So, back to knowing who we really are in Christ, Ephesians chapters 1-3 describes this position and our possessions in Christ, then chapter 4:1 says “now live and act in a way worthy of those who have been chosen for such wonderful blessings as these.” Think like who you really are. Act like who you really are. King James version says: Now because of these things, walk ye in them.
This is our position in Christ. It begins with an awareness of what Christ has done and where we are in Him, but it also involves a daily walk: Luke 9:23 emphasizes this: Jesus speaking: “Anyone who wants to follow me must put aside his own desires and conveniences and carry his cross with him every day and keep close to me.”
We can all say “Yes, I’ve been wounded: sexual abuse, unfaithful spouse, abusive relationships, rejection. But that doesn’t need to contaminate who I am. I am now a child of God. I am in Christ. Christ in me healing me, forgiving that abusive person through me, loving that person through me. Christ is my esteem. My security and significance is in Him. It is no longer I but Christ who lives in me. Christ living through my temperament, my personality, my life experience.

I am now able to live a life of victory over pain, over abuse, over rejection, over sin because I have been made alive by the resurrection life Christ has imparted to me. By His grace, I am a saint - who can sin. That is my real identity.

And, God’s eye never leaves me. He promises to work everything for my good, according to Romans 8:28. In Matthew 7:11 Christ states, “If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
And Paul blows our minds Ephesians 3:20 with, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us
I close our thoughts today with the Living Bible’s version of Colossians 2:2-3, 6-7,9-10, “This is what I have asked of God for you: that you will be encouraged and knit together by strong ties of love, and that you will have the rich experience of knowing Christ with real certainty and clear understanding. For God’s secret plan now at last made known, is Christ himself. In him lie hidden all the mighty, untapped treasures of wisdom and knowledge. And now just as you trusted Christ to save you, trust him, too, for each day’s problems; live in vital union with him. Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him. See that you go on growing in the Lord and become strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let our lives overflow with joy and thanksgiving for all he has done. For in Christ there is all of God in a human body; so you have everything when you have Christ, and you are filled with God through your union with Christ.

That is my prayer for you and me, dear reader.

No comments: