Monday, March 31, 2008

Who Are You 7 - Our Really Identity

Continuing our quest for knowing who we really are as Christians, we left our last post with Colossians 3:1 Since you became alive again, so to speak, when Christ arose from the dead, now set your sights on the rich treasures and joys of heaven where he sits beside God in the place of honor and power.
And with Ephesians 2:6 And (God) lifted us up from the grave into glory along with Christ, where we sit with him in the heavenly realms - all because of what Christ Jesus did.

These two verses sound like the person who is so heavenly minded he is no earthly good... "sights on heaven" - "sit with him in the heavenly realms?" What does this mean?
I looked at a number of commentaries. Contrasting them all, the meaning is somewhat obscure. Let me take a stab at what Col.3:1 and Eph.2:6 might mean.

What is our greatest need? (Love) Where do we tend to look for that need to be met? (all the wrong places). - marrieds with each other; single parents with their children; committed single Christians tend to look to God, until they begin dating. Philippians 4 tell us “My God shall supply all my needs.” Granted, He uses people to express His love through them to us, but there are situations where there is no one but God. It is then that He is our only source for the love we need. (Sights on heaven and seated with Him in the heavenlies.)

My greatest personal experience with this was when my first wife, Ann died - unexpectedly of a brain aneurysm. After the shock wore off, I became very lonely. It hit expecially hard when I visted my daughter in Orlando. We went to Disney World one afternoon. There I saw families together - husband and wife and children. Wow, that was hard. I began to pray, "God, in Isaiah 54:5 you promise to be a husband to the abandoned wife. If you can do that you can also be a wife to the abandoned husband." I sought Him deeply. How precious it was to sense God's presence in a closeness that I had never experienced before. (Sights on heaven...).

How would most people finish this sentence: “I just want to be.... (happy). Where does true happiness and joy come from: (Psalm 16:11 NIV) You have made known to me the path of life; (you) will fill me with joy (in your presence), with eternal pleasures at your right hand. There can be much happiness in life but it is situational. Deep joy comes from the awareness of God working personally in one's life - working everything to our good, the good of others and for His glory. (Sights on heaven and seated with Him in the heavelies.)
Love from God. Joy and happiness from God. Thus,- sights on heaven, seated with him in heavenly places. The privilege we have of being a child of God. Praise the Lord.


More tomorrow.

2 comments:

William R. Wallace said...

I know that God tells us He alone is sufficient for all our needs. But, what of Genesis 1:18?

William R. Wallace said...

Sorry, Genesis 2:18.