Monday, March 10, 2008

Names of God 7

At Peace
By studying the names of God I trust that we are "being transformed" into a greater awareness of the security we have in "Abba PaPa." Today's post begins with:
Our Father
1 Chronicles 29:10 David praised the LORD in the presence of the whole assembly, saying, "Praise be to you, O LORD, God of our father Israel, from everlasting to everlasting.
Matthew 6:9 "This, then, is how you should pray: "'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
Romans 8: 15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

Qanna - Jealous
Exodus 20:5-6 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Raah (Roeh) - My Shepherd
He is all I need. I can look beyond my own inadequacy, my circumstances and know God is .... God of tranquility, of protection, of security.
We're referred to as sheep quite often in the Bible.
Isaiah 53:6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isaiah 40:11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.
Psalms 23:1-2 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures...

Rapha - Healer
2 Chronicles 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Psalms 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
James 5:14-16 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
God as healer is further seen in: 2 Kings 20:5; Psalms 103:3; Isaiah 1:4-6; 53:4-5; 61:1-2; Ezekial 37:1-11; Matthew 8:16-17; John 5:5-8,14; 1 Corinthians 11:27-32.

Sabaoth - Deliverer
The Lord of Hosts delivers to those who find their own resources inadequate. The God of the defeated who restores; defender; Commander of ministering angels.
1 Samuel 17:46-47 (David and Goliath) This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD'S, and he will give all of you into our hands."
For further study: 1 Samuel 1:6-7,10,18; 4:3-4; 2 Chronicles 28:1-5; Psalms 58:4-19; 91:11; Isaiah 6:1-3; 7:2; 8:11-14; 31:4,5; Jeremiah 20:11-13; James 5:4.

No comments: