Friday, March 28, 2008

Who Are You 6 - A Christian's Real Identity

GRANDPA OLE
Scores of times in the book of Ephesians, the christian is called "in Christ." The writer of the book calls it a mystery. Lets see if we can demystify it somewhat.


I was born of Oliver Burwick who was born of Ole who was born of ... etc. back to the first man Adam. I was born into the loins of Adam. Romans 5:12 states: When Adam sinned, sin entered the entire human race. His sin spread death throughout all the world, so everything began to grow old and die, for all sinned.

Results of my being in Adam:
Romans 3:23: all have sinned;
Romans 6:23: wages of sin is death;
the ultimate result: hell. Luke 16:23-4 describes hell as a place of flaming torment.

But there is an option: Scripture tells us that God is not willing that any should perish. God woos man to Himself and John 1:12 tells us: To as many as received Christ, to those He gives the right to be children of God and as children of God, Ephesians reminds us scores of times that as a child of God we are in Christ and Christ in us. Christian means Christ in one. (Christ in me, I in Christ).

Because of this, I have eternal life (John 3:16 ... so that anyone who believes in Him (Christ) shall not perish but have eternal life. Eternal - without beginning or end. Physically I'm still in the line of Adam. Spiritually I'm in the lineage of Christ. Eternal, without end, without beginning. Romans 6:5 describes this eternal life in Christ. “For you have become a part of him and so you died with him, so to speak, when he died, and now you share his new life and shall rise as he did.”

Romans.6:4 Your old sin-loving nature was buried with him by baptism when he died, and when God the Father, with glorious power, brought him back to life again, you were given his wonderful new life to enjoy.

Since we have new life in Christ Colossians 3:1 challenges us: Since you became alive again, so to speak, when Christ arose from the dead, now set your sights on the rich treasures and joys of heaven where he sits beside God in the place of honor and power.
Ephesians 2:6 takes the Chrsitian a step further: And (God) lifted us up from the grave into glory along with Christ, where we sit with him in the heavenly realms - all because of what Christ Jesus did.
These last two verses sound like the person who is so heavenly minded he is no earthly good... sights on heaven - sit with him in the heavenly realms? What does this mean? We'll examine this further in our next post.

1 comment:

William R. Wallace said...

Your blog makes me want to talk about the things I used to talk about with Dad. He was open to mystery, and accepting of my frustration with it. See, now you've got my mind on my biggest questions. Like, who is the Holy Ghost? If God is three persons in one, then the Holy Ghost is the Father and is The Son, and the Son is the Father, and the Father is the Son. Or is Man the Son, and Jesus is the first Man. But, Scripture calls Jesus the Second Man. So Jesus is the Alpha Man? and the Omega Man? What's going on here? It reminds me of something Dad told me about someone he knew or heard speak. This person said that all theology could be reduced effectively to the following statement: "Jesus loves me. This I know. For, you see, the Bible has told me so." But, for humans like me and you, it doesn't seem to be quite that simple. Why doesn't it? Also, I have come to realize that the following epitaph would suffice for my headstone: A DOUBLE-MINDED MAN, UNSTABLE IN ALL HIS WAYS. Sounds dark, I know. But to call myself double-minded is a realistic call. So many situations I experience involve inner warfare between two stalwart, strong, and stubborn contestants. Anyways, just some more thoughts. I would thank you for your helpful blog, but it would be a disgruntled thanks, albeit a true one.