Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Names of God 3

We spent the weekend with the Isaacsons' in Vancouver.
Continuing our pursuit of knowing God by studying His names:

El Olam - Everlasting God, of the unseen and unfathomable, never grows weary, God of the uncertainty.
1 Corinthians 2:9-11 However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no
mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"-- but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

El Roi - Omnipresent
, sees all, omniscient, understands and cares.
Exodus 3:7-8 The LORD said, "I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering. So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land, a land flowing with milk and honey--the home of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites.

Jeremiah 32:19 great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your eyes are open to all the ways of men; you reward everyone according to his conduct and as his deeds deserve.

El Shaddai - all sufficient, omnipotent, all-embracing quality of the power of God. "El" refers to power, "shaddai" to breast. A mother's breast has almost infinite power over the child. Shaddai could be labeled a "comforting power," demonstrated 48 times in the book of Job. Corrects rather than punishes, restorer, our total resource.

Isaiah 40:28-31 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

For further study on El Shaddai, consider Genesis 17:1-2; Exodus 14:14; Psalms 17:8; 27:5; 31:20; 32:7; 46:1-2; 81:10; 91:1-2; 115:3;145:20; Jeremiah 31:3; Matthew 19:26; John 3:16; 10:28; 1 Corinthians 1:25; 2:16; 2 Corinthians 12:9-10;

Eternal God - Without beginning or end, forever the same.
Revelation 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
Job 36:26 How great is God--beyond our understanding! The number of his years is past finding out.

Psalms 135:13 Your name, O LORD, endures forever, your renown, O LORD, through all generations.
Deuteronomy 33:27 The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms...

Fortress -
Strong; a fortified place for military defense.
2 Samuel 22:2 He said: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
Psalms 18:2 The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Nahum 1:7 The LORD is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him, Holy One of Israel - Sound, whole, sacred, spiritually pure, sinless, deserving reverence.
Psalms 71:22 I will praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, O my God; I will sing praise to you with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel.
May the names of God stimulate our appetite for greater intimacy with Him.

1 comment:

Duke said...

Peace be with the moderator as well as the readers.
The time has come.
I am here to bring judgment to the living and the dead. Spread the Word, the harvest is ripe.

The Faithful Witness