Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Names of God 4

Two special friends, David and Heather Tarpley

Seeking to enhance the security dimension of building a positive self esteem, we continue in our quest for knowing God by studying His names.



Holy One of Israel - Sound, whole, sacred, spiritually pure, sinless, deserving reverence.
Psalms 71:22 I will praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, O my God; I will sing praise to you with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel.

I Am - There is no one else like me.
Exodus 3:14 God said to Moses, "I Am Who I Am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I Am has sent me to you.'"

Ishi - Husband; to the single woman, God desires to be husband.
Hosea 2:16 (Amp) And it shall be in that day, says he Lord, that you will call Me Ishi or My Husband, and you shall call Me no more Baali or My Baal.

Jehovah - Absolutely self-existent and self-sufficient; Lord, eternal one, righteous and requires righteousness, holy, abhores evil, name of rejoicing.
Exodus 34:5-6 Then the LORD came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the LORD. And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness,
Exodus 6:3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them.
Other passages to peruse: Exodus 6:2; 34:7; Isaiah 55:8-9; John 4:24; 2 Corinthians 3:17

Jireh - Provider. Is not caught by surprise, has total provision for us at all times. The most classic example of this is demonstrated by Abraham with Isaac on the altar at Mt. Moriah.
Genesis 22:2 Then God said, "Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about." Genesis 22:10-13 Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!" "Here I am," he replied. "Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son." Abraham looked up and there in a thicket he saw a ram caught by its horns. He went over and took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering instead of his son.

More tomorrow!

No comments: